These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Stop lights

Post by Olmanrivah
All of a sudden Waze is asking me "Are you in traffic?" at traffic lights. Didn't use to do this.
Olmanrivah

POSTER_ID:2590459

Send a message
Country Boys Can Survive!
Graduating from the WAZE School of hard Knocks
Area Manager King William, Va.

Post by gettingthere
Are you slowing creeping along when stopped at the light or totally stopped for the duration of the red light?
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by gettingthere
mapcat wrote:Is the stoplight at an intersection shown on the map? If it's at a parking lot entrance (e.g.), and nobody has created a junction at that light, then Waze wouldn't know you're at a normal stop.
I really don't think it works like this. I don't think Waze cares at all about intersections when passively (automatically) reporting traffic. Think about it, you could be stopping for a light well before the intersection. If it's a few lights wait, that really is traffic.

I am sure the algorithm is not all that simple to explain, but I believe it is based on:

* Your vehicle moving at much slower speed than the average speed of the road segment.
* That you have moved at least a little bit. I suspect they try to filter out stops where you vehicle is not moving at all for an extended period.

The reason I believe the passive traffic reports are based on speed relative to the average segment speed is because everyday I am waiting in traffic at the same location. The average speed in these segments with traffic is very low, 2 or 3 mph per Cartouche road segments. If I am totally stopped in this area, traffic is never passively (automatically) reported because the average speed is already so low, ie there is always traffic and it's normal.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
I would be nice to know for sure if answering NO at the 'are you in traffic' stops the passive/automatic traffic reporting from being generated. I just came across this: from what I read in Krankyd's status of a feature that was implemented in the Waze Client 2.2 at User Voice - it does.

So if this is the case this may mitigate the need for a pause function in Waze. Although if you leave your vehicle or are not paying attention to Waze running on your SmartPhone when you stop you may miss the opportunity to press NO on the 'are you in traffic' prompt. I believe the 'are you in traffic' prompt defaults to close if you don't respond. If you click YES, it goes to the screen to generate a manual traffic report and we can assume does not stop the passive/automatic traffic report.

User Voice Request: Before automatically reporting slowness/stoppage, give the driver a button to cancel the report

Krankyd's update on this request:

"Available on version 2.2 and on. When waze isn't 100% sure about the traffic jam, it will ping and ask you to confirm you are in traffic."

http://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223- ... ?ref=title
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by gettingthere
Olmanrivah wrote:Before, I never got "Are you in Traffic?"at a light. All these lights are at intersections that are on the map. Now, I get it periodically. Also, Where it was routing me correctly, now, wants to take me to interstates again.

Something has changed in the last week.
So based on the post previous to this one, you are being prompted because the Waze application is not 100% sure if you are in traffic and is giving you an opportunity to cancel the passive/automated traffic report that will be generated unless you press 'no' at the 'are you in traffic?' prompt.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
Is the stoplight at an intersection shown on the map? If it's at a parking lot entrance (e.g.), and nobody has created a junction at that light, then Waze wouldn't know you're at a normal stop.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
gettingthere wrote:I really don't think it works like this. I don't think Waze cares at all about intersections when passively (automatically) reporting traffic.
OK, fair enough. But the only time that has ever come up for me is (a) when I was sitting in traffic or (b) when I was stopped at a light far from any intersection on the map.
gettingthere wrote:Think about it, you could be stopping for a light well before the intersection. If it's a few lights wait, that really is traffic.
True, and that's why reporting that you're in traffic would be appropriate.

But I see your point and understand your experience was different from mine.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by Olmanrivah
Before, I never got "Are you in Traffic?"at a light. All these lights are at intersections that are on the map. Now, I get it periodically. Also, Where it was routing me correctly, now, wants to take me to interstates again.

Something has changed in the last week.
Olmanrivah
Send a message

Post by Olmanrivah
Well, it must have been a glitch or someone corrected it. We went into Richmond, Va. today with it running and absolutely no "Are you in traffic?" notifications. We must have been at 40 or 50 traffic lights and stop signs. Also where it did it the other day, it didn't do it today.

Actually, it behaved itself quite well. :)
Olmanrivah
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
I also had it one time today.
Will keep an eye on it the coming days..
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux