These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Roads not showing when not navigating

Post by okladriver
I've had a few URs in a rural area about missing roads. The roads reported have been mapped for years and have always shown up for me so I got curious and did an experiment.

When driving over 40 MPH on a "street" type road, without using navigation, the roads don't show up even if you're on them.

This area, in particular, has a speed limit of 50 and most of the major roads here are classified as Street per FC standards. This means that when you're driving you just see a large open area and can't tell where upcoming intersections are until you slow down.

I know that Waze doesn't render streets at certain speeds to keep the map from getting cluttered but it seems like a bad thing to not show the road you're on.

Are there any plans to change this or is there anything I can tell the users?
okladriver

POSTER_ID:16938839

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Users can always turn off autozoom.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by ct13
I think we got off point here. If you are snapped to a road, that road should show up on the map no matter the classification of the street or how fast you're going.
umopapisdn wrote:
when you go faster the map zooms out, and when it zooms out it hides roads that aren't necessary for the currently selected route. if you don't have a selected route, it can't be sure which roads it needs to show you and sometimes even the road you're on will disappear when zoomed out.

remember, waze is designed to provide you with the fastest possible route to your destination. it can't fulfill that role unless you've told it where you want to go!
I don't think we should complain if people want to add speed data to the map and see reports but don't want to be given directions.
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by Edward50095
I too agree with the sentiment of the OP. Waze is not that useful when no route is plugged into it.

And there are times I could make use of the navigator without a route entered. I.e., to navigate yourself out of a neighborhood back to the main road. It can still be done, but not without a lot of effort. If your last route did not disappear the second you arrived at your destination, you could follow your blue line back out.

The problem in general is over-engineering. One behavior at 45; another at 44. One with a route another with no route. It just doesn't have to be so complex.

But it is what it is, and some suggested changes, like this one, seems like a tall order.
Edward50095
Send a message

Post by Edward50095
You can see the roads when not navigating, but the minor roads will be such a faint gray line that you really can't see them.

This is no different when navigating; you just get the additional blue line when navigating that makes you think you can see the road you're on.

Yes it would be nice if the roads were bolder.
Edward50095
Send a message

Post by umopapisdn
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:DwarfLord/UR has some great canned responses that i've been modifying slightly for my own needs. i've also used something along the lines of:
when you go faster the map zooms out, and when it zooms out it hides roads that aren't necessary for the currently selected route. if you don't have a selected route, it can't be sure which roads it needs to show you and sometimes even the road you're on will disappear when zoomed out.

remember, waze is designed to provide you with the fastest possible route to your destination. it can't fulfill that role unless you've told it where you want to go!
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Area Manager for most of Central and Southern Indiana; LAM INDOT Vincennes District.
https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/421565.png

Post by umopapisdn
to be clear, if you have a route programmed _the route_ will never disappear until the destination is reached. it's merely the street layer (i.e. roads ranked as less than primary) that ceases to be shown as speeds increase.

i don't think it's overengineered, and i don't think it's too complex. try to imagine the way the map would look if it were zoomed out at 65MPH and showing EVERY SINGLE ROAD. there aren't different behaviors with routing vs no routing: the map still zooms (presuming auto zoom is enabled) in either instance.

as an aside, if you are navigating in a residential neighborhood as speeds greater than 45 MPH you should not under any circumstances be looking at anything other than the road ahead. playing with your phone at 45 in a neighborhood is a good way to get someone killed.
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer
Area Manager for most of Central and Southern Indiana; LAM INDOT Vincennes District.

Post by umopapisdn
ct13 wrote:I think we got off point here. If you are snapped to a road, that road should show up on the map no matter the classification of the street or how fast you're going.
sure, the road should show up on the map. the point here is that it doesn't, and the person submitting the UR doesn't understand why. my response is intended to be a gentle reminder to them of the way the developers envision their tool to be used.
ct13 wrote:I don't think we should complain if people want to add speed data to the map and see reports but don't want to be given directions.
yes, we can benefit from the collection of speed data regardless of a destination being entered, but the user won't benefit from the lack of visible roads. if we want to continue receiving data from the user, then we need to let them know how to make sure they continue to see roads.
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer

Post by umopapisdn
that will depend on the color scheme you're using, i believe.
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer