Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Actually selecting an address from my contacts

Post by DriftJos
When I choose "navigate to..." and then tap on "contacts", my Android contact list is opened, great. Although I should prefer to see only the Contacts wich have addresses, I can scroll through the whole list of contacts, select one of the contacts, select an address, ... but how do I "say" to go back to Waze again with the selected address and navigate to that address?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Jos
DriftJos

POSTER_ID:2718846

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Hmmm, I am not an Android user, but my experience on the iPhone is that when I select a contact, it opens the contact and then I can tap on any addresses associated with the contact, which then jumps me right back to the Waze navigation screen as it gets the route.

Curiously, the Android User Manual doesn't have any detail about the address book usage. In this thread Darren suggests at the end that this integration is already there, but he doesn't elaborate. Perhaps he can weigh in on this thread. Or other Android users...

(Moving to Client forum.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dmcconachie wrote:Have you even bothered to read the thread you've posted in?
First-time visitor? First post? How dare you suggest someone read anything before posting.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by deeggo
DriftJos wrote:When I choose "navigate to..." and then tap on "contacts", my Android contact list is opened, great. Although I should prefer to see only the Contacts wich have addresses, I can scroll through the whole list of contacts, select one of the contacts, select an address, ... but how do I "say" to go back to Waze again with the selected address and navigate to that address?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Jos
When you're scrolling through your list of contacts, do not click on the NAME of the contact you want to navigate to, but click on his PICTURE on the left side of the screen. This will open a menu with some options. On my device, the last option is called Map. Then choose Waze and here you go.

I admit, this got me puzzled for a while too. On Froyo, clicking the name can get you there too, but not on Gingerbread.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
I figured it would be the revelation ;-)

I just coincidentally found out about this. It doesn't make sense that clicking the contact picture has a different result than clicking the name, but that's how they built Android. Have fun with it!
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by dmcconachie
It is there though it's weak. Android uses what it calls "intents" whereby an app can mark itself, in this case, as a navigation app that will react to address links.

When you select "from contact" in the app it actually comes out of the app altogether (think pressing "Home" and then "contacts"), when you subsequently press the address within the contact one of 3 things will happen (assuming no other map apps). 1) Google Maps will fire up with the address highlighted, 2) Waze will fire up with options for that address or 3) a popup will give you a choice of which app to use.

If 1 then you have told your device to always use Google Maps for Address intents. You can reset this by going into manage applications and clearing the launch defaults. You should then get option 3 happening.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
DriftJos wrote:Although I should prefer to see only the Contacts wich have addresses
I do agree with this, though Im not 100% sure if this is something waze can fix with their current method of selecting contacts (via intents)!
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Have you even bothered to read the thread you've posted in?

via tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message

Post by DriftJos
Although not a real solution to my "problem", I am very happy with the answers. It helps me understand the complexity of the option I was looking for. I think I have found something that should solve the problem: a small app called "Select Other Map for HTC" that offers the options to choose one of the available navigators in my phone after I selected a Contact address. (option 3 in the reply of dmcconachie and not a standard option on HTC).

But most of all, thanks for taking time to write a serious and respectful answer.
DriftJos
Send a message

Post by DriftJos
This is it, great! Kind of strange way of doing it, but...it works.

Thanks, you helped me (and I think a lot of other users) a lot.
DriftJos
Send a message