These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Reaction Time to Improved Traffic Conditions

Post by PaulBroScience
Frequently I leave work late - from downtown SF - well after traffic has died down, Waze is still routing me around that traffic. Still showing the "hot spots" in red. A couple of times I ignored Waze and drove the more expedient route and there was no traffic. Does anyone know how long it takes the crowd sourcing information to see that speed/traffic conditions have improved? Is there a lag time before this is reflected for drivers?

Thanks!
PaulBroScience

POSTER_ID:17004040

Send a message

Post by SwenVandenberk
Most likely there will be some lag time but unclear to me if this is known.

There are three options I think:
1) after detecting slow traffic, keep that info for the next x minutes, then assume no slowdown
2) keep the slowdown until another wazer drives through it at higher speeds, confirming there is no slowdown
3) combination of 1) and 2).

I guess it's probably option 3, but who am I :)

To be really sure there is no traffic jam anymore, a Wazer needs to drive through that segment. That's a very good source for Waze to know if a traffic jam has disappeared or not (not taking into account information from other sources like city traffic systems).
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message