Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by mc1z
Tentatively, the news appears good regarding the iOS update released today. Though nothing was mentioned specifically regarding the bug aspect of this issue, I drove about 35 miles today taking only two simple to and from work trips, which usually require half a dozen or so resets of the North Up preference each, but only required one each today (the initial one), with the new version. So I'm cautiously optimistic that the amnesia bug has been fixed. I've only used it on the iPhone so far - I'll try the iPad next.

Mark
mc1z
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
GizmoGuy411 wrote: I know other people's brains don't work that way, and prefer and need Course Up maps, but I bet there are a lot of other North Up people in the world.

Are You?
Yes, yes I am.

This is my main issue with Waze. And the reason I prefer Locus or any other map application on the screen.

I have no idea what waze is trying to tell me if I don't have north up.

There's two reasons for this:

1) If I turn, waze updates slowly. This is partly the GPS fault - it's about 2-3 seconds behind; on bad reception (cities in the north, where I'm usually driving) waze can take 10 seconds to realize I turned, about the time I need to know where to take the next turn. I then have to manually figure out where waze thinks I am, where I am on the map (which is in a random direction), where I'm supposed to turn. Because of bad GPS I can't trust Waze to tell me what to do when I need it...
It also shifts me to other streets and directions randomly from just standing still in a crossing. Good luck figuring out where to drive then...

2) I'm one of those people who can read a map, but not if it's turned randomly. I have a pretty absolute sense of direction - I know where north it, so if the map turns as well, I can't use it without rethinking the map.

If the argument is still that waze is a turn-by-turn application, then fine, I wont ever try to use waze again. I was looking for a navigation app that gave me a map with information that helps me take the decisions I need to get where I want, not something that reads a bad GPS and decides for me...

(Sorry if this sounds a bit aggressive, but this has been a constant complaint since Waze started and I don't think it will ever be implemented.)
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
Actually, I think the current north-up button sometimes is worse than useless -
I push it, think that the north is up, look away, look at the map, and gets really confused. :p
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
kriimsilm wrote:But if you are "Crocodile" Dundee who always knows were the north is, then you do not need Waze anyway :lol:
I always know where I am and where north is. ;)
But that's not what I use waze for.

I use waze because I want to know what's between here and there and the information that's fresh.

I thought that was the point of Waze? That's what making waze unique.

Otherwise I could use google maps (no problem with north up), locus (no problem with north up) or navfree (haven't tried).

But I'd like to read the map that Waze presents at a glance, and for that I want north up.

It's not like it should be a hard feature to implement... It's already there, it just needs to lock. :p
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
Any progress on this? I know it's only been a little over one and a half year, but some sort of official response would be nice.

(I personally suspect Waze fired all their actual developers in 2011 and can't add any features.)
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by mirarkitty
Yay! Now I have to try remember where to grab the beta...
mirarkitty
Send a message

Post by nil0lab
This is late, but thank you, waze developers, for addressing this. No longer will Waze clobber my sense of direction by spinning the map on me.

One more quibble- since I log in, would it be so hard for you to save my settings? That way, when I get a new device, it could lock north and turn down the volume for me when I log in, and I wouldn't have to find where in the settings the lock-north mode is yet again

(For the rest of you, and for my future self, let me note here that (a) 2-D mode is under Display, and (b) Lock-North mode is under Advanced)
nil0lab
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
mc1z wrote:(I had a passenger a couple weeks ago who literally said the iPad map rotating wildly about when I made a turn almost made him sick to the stomach - he had to look away... So, see, now I've made a case for non-north-up being a safety hazard! :mrgreen: )
Seriously?

Who STARES at an iPad screen in a moving car?
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by OldGnome
mc1z wrote:Um, people intrigued with the technology (in this case) - a good thing, right?

Um, people trying to find something - that's what's it's for, right?

Um, people who're looking to see who else is around - that's why they're shown, right?

I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

And of course I'm talking about passengers - but you knew that, right?
You're missing my point. Staring (not looking, not peering, not trying to find something) will lead to nausea ("motion sickness") in a moving vehicle.

If the moving image is causing a problem....stop starting at the iPad....
OldGnome
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
bgodette wrote:
AlanisOfTheBerg wrote: I'm pretty sure, but could be wrong, that the current 2.4 version has Weather as an option under Hazard reporting. I know for certain that the beta 2.9 does and has Weather options currently for Forg, Hail, Heavy Rain, Heavy Snow. Looks like "ice" would be a good addition.
But does the weather still only fall on one side of the road?
I'm not sure, but I think it gives a message as soon as your in a 600 meter radius.
When I post a weather warning I also get the warning 'hazard ahead'.
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux