Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by jasonh300
I only put north up when I'm stopped and scrolling through the map. When I'm moving, it's oriented to the direction I'm going as, in my mind, its no longer functioning as a map

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
gettingthere wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:When I'm moving, it's oriented to the direction I'm going as, in my mind, its no longer functioning as a map
It's really not a map application, it's a turn-by-turn, commuting, traffic smart routing, GPS application.
Exactly...it's showing you where you're going.

By the same token, I don't think I could use the map editor (or an atlas) if it was in any orientation other than north-up. I wouldn't be able to scroll around and find anything. It's a completely different thought process.

When I'm driving, I keep it zoomed-in in 2D mode so I can make note of the cross streets and look for errors...if a street is coming up on the right, I want to see it on the right on the map. I find it easier to read at a glance when it's like that so it doesn't distract me from my driving.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by laspurs
I really want this too. Thanks. :mrgreen:
laspurs
Send a message

Post by lpGrumpy
I'll second (and 3rd and 4th) the permanent North-Up option! It is really frustrating to set it (while you are driving no less!) to look down at the display and find that it has reverted back. And i just read where someone said that it does not revert back often. That is not the point: it should not revert ever. Make it an option! It should be MY choice!
LpGrumpy
lpGrumpy
Send a message

Post by mc1z
The next time the patient is open (which I assume is always, based on the number of new features that got incorporated into Waze today), can we PLEASE have a lock on North Up for us folks who see the world this way.

I've got slick spots in the screen protectors of both my iPad and my iPhone from re-setting this over and over and over and over again.

If it weren't a big deal to a fair number of folks, there wouldn't be so many locked threads about it, would there? (I spent 10 minutes looking before I found this one I could post to, so I'd appreciate a little gratitude for not starting yet another new one... :) )

(I had a passenger a couple weeks ago who literally said the iPad map rotating wildly about when I made a turn almost made him sick to the stomach - he had to look away... So, see, now I've made a case for non-north-up being a safety hazard! :mrgreen: )
mc1z
Send a message

Post by mc1z
Um, people intrigued with the technology (in this case) - a good thing, right?

Um, people trying to find something - that's what's it's for, right?

Um, people who're looking to see who else is around - that's why they're shown, right?

I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

And of course I'm talking about passengers - but you knew that, right?
mc1z
Send a message

Post by mc1z
Wow - you were serious? - you must've missed the :mrgreen:
mc1z
Send a message

Post by mc1z
Just so the Waze team understands why I'm frustrated with this, while it's fresh on my mind, I'm relating my experience from this morning. I went for a short drive of less than 15 miles round trip, to treat my family to lattes. It that short distance, I had to reset the orientation of Waze to North-Up 9 times - NINE times.

If I only had to do this once when I first start a Waze session, or after restarting it, or once every few hours, I wouldn't be complaining. (It would still be dumb, but I wouldn't be complaining...) (I will admit that this morning's trip was worse than usual, which is why I started counting after the third reset, but I'm pretty sure it also was by no means the worst I've ever experienced, either.)

So, assuming there's not a willingness to fix the major issue by giving us a "permanent" setting option, can we at least acknowledge the Alzheimer's condition and give it some medication?
mc1z
Send a message

Post by mc1z
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:That is kind of exactly the point of a GPS navigation app, which is what Waze is. That being said, I totally agree with you and everyone else who feel that if Waze has a north up feature, it should stick to north up ALL THE TIME when selected.
Alan, I really appreciate the way you worded that, because it clarifies it a bit in my head, too. I had frankly been dividing this into two different things:

1) A new feature which would allow "North Up" to be selected in Settings.

2) An existing bug which results in Waze "forgetting" that you selected that in the on-screen pop up. (There were several times on a trip yesterday that I had to re-select North Up 4 to 6 times within a 30-second period of time, because it kept insisting on going back to "direction of travel up".)

I actually think I like your summation of it better, but I would still like a preferences setting that makes Waze stay in North up mode all the time.

Mark
mc1z
Send a message

Post by mc1z
thefoxbox wrote:Does Waze not want to offer an official response on this?
Good question - I sure wish we'd hear something. I just finished a 3,500 mile road trip and it was so ridiculous that I progressed very quickly from using Waze exclusively to just leaving it running in the background with the destination programmed and the navigation instructions muted so I could still hear the alerts, but using CoPilot to do the actual navigation and map display. That way, I could get the benefits without the annoyance. It's a pain to switch over to it to log incidents and fuel prices, but the four-finger swipe gesture on the iPad makes that a bit easier. The only other downside to this approac is that I think (but I'm not certain) that you might get fewer alerts this way - it seems to not be as "on top of things" when it's running in the background. But I sure felt a lot better not having to argue with it all the time. It's like having a stubborn kid in my iPad: I tell it to show North-up, and every time I look away, it switches back - there's no way I'm putting up with something that's supposed to be helping me arguing with me all day long about the way it's going to display my map.

If I could just get North-up to never revert, and get a distance scale legend on the screen, I'd be very happy with Waze, but as it is, I'm about ready to bag it.
mc1z
Send a message