Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Dave2084
ecigplanete wrote: I have the same issue and i'm using v4.X as well
Which colour scheme are you trying to upload? It still works fine on iOS for me.

Does your colour scheme have all the latest changes incorporated?

Again, send me the scheme that isn't working and I can take a look
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
Your colour scheme works just fine on my iPhone ...

There is a recent change to add a place colour for parking lots but it doesn't seem to be active yet.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
I suspect that you'll need to jailbreak/Root your device from this point forward :-(
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
mistahdave wrote: That's a really informative post but what about us IOS users :/
The same applies but you need to be jailbroken.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
kelemvor33 wrote:
fuchserl wrote:...we have to wait for Waze to correct those as well.
Yeah. I won't hold my breath. ;)
Probably for the best, waiting for Waze is never advisable ....
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by davielde
n8nagel wrote:Also, something else I've noticed is that I'm not seeing road names for dirt roads. Is that something configurable in the schema, or is that a fundamental property of the Dirt Road/4x4 Trail street type?
Hidden street names is not a property of dirt roads. By default, the streets will (should...) appear at the highest zoom level as a faint grey line. If you don't see the name right away, you can pan the map and something should eventually display. In my experience, this works with any of the stock themes, both day and night mode, 2d and 3d, and any of the dirt road navigation options; but with labels *only* at the most detailed zoom level.
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by davielde
n8nagel wrote:Doesn't work. However, I think I've "solved" the problem. In my scheme that I'm working on I changed the property "4X4 Trails.Thickness" from 1 (what it was in the Waze provided scheme) to 2 (the default value of "Streets.Thickness"), and now I have street names again, and as a side benefit, the dirt roads show up equally as well as the regular streets, only differentiated by color, which was my preference.
Perhaps it is an Android issue then.

In iOS at least, with the default thickness and schemes, you can see labels for dirt roads as I previously described. In this example, both Rushton and Twelve Mile are dirt.

I could provide about 60 million more examples ;)
davielde
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png
CM: USA
SM: Michigan, Vermont
AM: Ann Arbor, MI & Thunder Bay, ON
WME Michigan

Post by DeepSouthDiver
Heya!

First time poster here, longtime Wazer.

I'm doing the best I can to be sure that this posts in the proper thread and that I'm using proper netiquette, so if I make a mistake please be patient with me. I've been a BBS and board user for decades, but I'm new here.

Back in 2004 or so I was using a Magellan handheld GPS unit in my car. The unit had been given to me to review and critique (I often write all kinds of reviews). At the time, the whole concept of a GPS system in your vehicle was science fiction. The unit had a tiny monochrome screen, and a very rudimentary base map - but it had a base map, which made it pretty much the top of the line at the time.

Flash forward to 2006-ish, and I purchased my first GARMIN GPS unit to "update" my vehicle's electronics. I think pretty much the world was buying those things. They were great and of course, we all know how that went - the in-car GPS became the norm, and pretty much it was GARMIN vs. TomTom, and I purchased the largest GARMIN I could find... The 765T. "T" meant that it had a traffic function (although very abbreviated compared to what we have now in Waze), and it was a bonus that it could play mp3's off of an SD card onto my truck's stereo via a staticy FM signal. I even purchased the "lifetime map updates" for $90 and religiously updated my maps. The unit's simple graphics and plastic screen became outclassed by the rise of big, beautiful cell phones, and even though new GARMIN GPS systems got larger and cheaper, it was very obvious that the way of the future regarding navigation was going to involve the cell phone.

I held on as long as I could, dealing with the clunky map updates (some of which took HOURS even though I now had a 100 mbps internet connection - unheard of when I had bought the thing) in order to keep the reliability of the maps (no internet connection needed) and the separate device (no switching back and forth between phone call, Pandora, and my nav app). Perhaps the best part of having the GARMIN in my truck was that it was hardwired... That is, when I started the truck it came on, and when I shut the truck off it turned off. Simple. And I didn't have to actually be navigating in order to take advantage of the unit... I had learned to use it in daily driving just to see what roads, curves, or whatever was ahead so I knew what to expect when I got there. This feature was nonexistent on Google Navigation, which only worked when you actually navigated somewhere. It was pretty much worthless otherwise, and I kept my GARMIN.

The idea of a "live map" was pretty cool, though, and I toyed with the idea of using Google Navigation more often. The problem was... It was such a commitment. I had to open the app, navigate, plug in my phone, and set my phone up so that I could read it without being a distracted driver. If I used my phone to also listen to Pandora (I do), then I was now constantly switching back and forth between the apps, and if I got a call or a text, I found myself a very busy, distracted driver. Meanwhile, my old-looking GARMIN (now) sat quietly and patiently, giving me only the information that I wanted.

Enter Waze. I'd heard about it... Social media meets navigation. Pretty cool. I played with it a bit, but stopped using it because it was just a pain to use compared to my trusty GARMIN.

...Well, the other day my old GARMIN's mount broke. So I bought another on eBay. This new one wasn't quite as tight and reliable as the old one, and of course, the GARMIN never could give me the locations of hazards, police officers, or whatever... So I was still trying to figure out a way to make Waze work better for me. When my GARMIN refused to do a map update recently (their firmware seems less stable every time I update it), I committed myself to figuring out a better way.

Well... My solution was this: Call my cell phone carrier (Verizon) and take advantage of a promotion they were having... A free 8.3" LG Tablet. Install Waze on it, mount it to my dash, and create a dedicated machine.

I used Waze, AutomateIt, Raindar, and Pandora on the tablet, hardwired a power cable to the tablet (to switched power), installed an iSimple Tranzit Blu, and purchased a very solid tablet mount from Amazon. What I now have is what I loved about the GARMIN (on/off by itself, no need to navigate to take advantage) but using Waze for it's fully-live, social maps. I've been playing with it for the past month or so, and have made many tweaks to make everything run correctly. The system is fantastic. Tonight I'll be using it to navigate to a weekend getaway with my wife, five hours away.

The only true complaint that I was unable to "tweak" out was the lack of definition on the Waze maps. Even on an 8.3" screen, all of the color schemes are insanely frustrating to discern while driving. There's simply not enough contrast in any of the color schemes - not even the Map Editors scheme (which has it's own issues). Thus, I began Google searching for a solution. I have been lurking here quite a while learning from y'all.

So here you have it... A map color scheme made by a guy that's been using various GPS systems for over a decade every day. The key is to keep the pertinent information immediately viewable, while minimizing the unnecessary information. Hopefully, this minimizes driver distraction and gets pertinent information into the driver's brain fastest and most efficiently so that he/she can focus on DRIVING.

Those of you familiar with GARMIN nav systems will immediately see similarities and will quickly be comfortable with this scheme.

I will call the scheme "Garminesque."

http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/day.png

http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/night.png

Code for day:

Code: Select all

Map.Background: #ffffff

Labels.Color: #2D2D2D
Labels.BgColor: #ffffffbf

Console.Foreground: #000000
Console.Background: #edeae0

Freeways.Class: Road
Freeways.Color2: #f8f8f8
Freeways.Color1: #9e9e9e
Freeways.Color: #9e9e9e
Freeways.Declutter: 2147483647
Freeways.Delta1: -2
Freeways.Delta2: -2
Freeways.Thickness: 5

Primary.Class: Road
Primary.Color2: #f8f8f8
Primary.Color1: #B7B7B7
Primary.Color: #B7B7B7
Primary.Declutter: 4000
Primary.Delta2: -2
Primary.Delta1: -2
Primary.Thickness: 4

Secondary.Class: Road
Secondary.Color2: #f8f8f8
Secondary.Color1: #B7B7B7
Secondary.Color: #B7B7B7
Secondary.Declutter: 4000
Secondary.Delta1: -2
Secondary.Delta2: -2
Secondary.Thickness: 4

Ramps.Class: Road
Ramps.Color2: #f8f8f8
Ramps.Color1: #B7B7B7
Ramps.Color: #B7B7B7
Ramps.Declutter: 4000
Ramps.Delta1: -2
Ramps.Delta2: -2
Ramps.Thickness: 3

Highways.Class: Road
Highways.Color2: #f8f8f8
Highways.Color1: #B7B7B7
Highways.Color: #B7B7B7
Highways.Declutter: 4000
Highways.Delta1: -2
Highways.Delta2: -2
Highways.Thickness: 4

Exit.Class: Road
Exit.Color2: #f8f8f8
Exit.Color1: #ded2ac
Exit.Color: #c5ba99
Exit.Declutter: 4000
Exit.Delta1: -2
Exit.Delta2: -2
Exit.Thickness: 3

Streets.Class: Road
Streets.Color2: #f8f8f8
Streets.Color1: #B7B7B7
Streets.Color: #B7B7B7
Streets.Declutter: 4000
Streets.Delta1: -2
Streets.Delta2: -2
Streets.Thickness: 3

Pedestrian.Class: Road
Pedestrian.Color: #FF99FF
Pedestrian.Declutter: 160
Pedestrian.Delta1: 0
Pedestrian.Thickness: 1

4X4 Trails.Class: Road
4X4 Trails.Color: #d0ccc4
4X4 Trails.Declutter: 160
4X4 Trails.Delta1: 0
4X4 Trails.Thickness: 2

Trails.Class: Road
Trails.Color: #FF99FF
Trails.Declutter: 160
Trails.Delta1: 0
Trails.Thickness: 1

Walkway.Class: Road
Walkway.Color: #FF99FF
Walkway.Declutter: 160
Walkway.Delta1: 0
Walkway.Thickness: 1

Airports.Class: Area
Airports.Color: #ffffff
Airports.Declutter: 200
Airports.Delta1: 0
Airports.Thickness: 1

Hospitals.Class: Area
Hospitals.Color: #c7c1b3
Hospitals.Declutter: 200
Hospitals.Delta1: 0
Hospitals.Thickness: 1

Lakes.Class: Area
Lakes.Color: #6699ff
Lakes.Declutter: 1500
Lakes.Delta1: 0
Lakes.Thickness: 1

Malls.Class: Area
Malls.Color: #ff000000
Malls.Color1: #ff000000
Malls.Declutter: 2147483647
Malls.Delta1: 0
Malls.Thickness: 1

Cities.Class: Area
Cities.Color: #ffffff
Cities.Color1: #ffffff
Cities.Declutter: 2147483647
Cities.Delta1: 1
Cities.Thickness: 1
Cities.LabelColor: #2D2D2D

Parks.Class: Area
Parks.Color: #99CC99
Parks.Declutter: 200
Parks.Delta1: 0
Parks.Thickness: 1
Parks.LabelColor: #99CC99

Rivers.Class: Feature
Rivers.Color: #6699ff
Rivers.Declutter: 300
Rivers.Delta1: 0
Rivers.Thickness: 3

Sea.Class: Area
Sea.Color: #6699ff
Sea.Declutter: 2147483647
Sea.Delta1: 0
Sea.Thickness: 1
Sea.LabelDeclutter: 100
Sea.LabelColor: #0000CC

Shore.Class: Feature
Shore.Color: #6699ff
Shore.Declutter: 2147483647
Shore.Delta1: 0
Shore.Thickness: 2

Stations.Class: Area
Stations.Color: #c7c1b3
Stations.Declutter: 200
Stations.Delta1: 0
Stations.Thickness: 1
Stations.LabelColor: #817a7a

Navigation.RouteColor: #ff66ff
Code for night:

Code: Select all

Map.Background: #000033

Labels.Color: #2D2D2D
Labels.BgColor: #ffffffbf

Console.Foreground: #000000
Console.Background: #edeae0

Freeways.Class: Road
Freeways.Color2: #f8f8f8
Freeways.Color1: #9e9e9e
Freeways.Color: #9e9e9e
Freeways.Declutter: 2147483647
Freeways.Delta1: -2
Freeways.Delta2: -2
Freeways.Thickness: 5

Primary.Class: Road
Primary.Color2: #f8f8f8
Primary.Color1: #B7B7B7
Primary.Color: #B7B7B7
Primary.Declutter: 4000
Primary.Delta2: -2
Primary.Delta1: -2
Primary.Thickness: 4

Secondary.Class: Road
Secondary.Color2: #f8f8f8
Secondary.Color1: #B7B7B7
Secondary.Color: #B7B7B7
Secondary.Declutter: 4000
Secondary.Delta1: -2
Secondary.Delta2: -2
Secondary.Thickness: 4

Ramps.Class: Road
Ramps.Color2: #f8f8f8
Ramps.Color1: #B7B7B7
Ramps.Color: #B7B7B7
Ramps.Declutter: 4000
Ramps.Delta1: -2
Ramps.Delta2: -2
Ramps.Thickness: 3

Highways.Class: Road
Highways.Color2: #f8f8f8
Highways.Color1: #B7B7B7
Highways.Color: #B7B7B7
Highways.Declutter: 4000
Highways.Delta1: -2
Highways.Delta2: -2
Highways.Thickness: 4

Exit.Class: Road
Exit.Color2: #f8f8f8
Exit.Color1: #ded2ac
Exit.Color: #c5ba99
Exit.Declutter: 4000
Exit.Delta1: -2
Exit.Delta2: -2
Exit.Thickness: 3

Streets.Class: Road
Streets.Color2: #f8f8f8
Streets.Color1: #B7B7B7
Streets.Color: #B7B7B7
Streets.Declutter: 4000
Streets.Delta1: -2
Streets.Delta2: -2
Streets.Thickness: 3

Pedestrian.Class: Road
Pedestrian.Color: #FF99FF
Pedestrian.Declutter: 160
Pedestrian.Delta1: 0
Pedestrian.Thickness: 1

4X4 Trails.Class: Road
4X4 Trails.Color: #d0ccc4
4X4 Trails.Declutter: 160
4X4 Trails.Delta1: 0
4X4 Trails.Thickness: 2

Trails.Class: Road
Trails.Color: #FF99FF
Trails.Declutter: 160
Trails.Delta1: 0
Trails.Thickness: 1

Walkway.Class: Road
Walkway.Color: #FF99FF
Walkway.Declutter: 160
Walkway.Delta1: 0
Walkway.Thickness: 1

Airports.Class: Area
Airports.Color: #000033
Airports.Declutter: 200
Airports.Delta1: 0
Airports.Thickness: 1

Hospitals.Class: Area
Hospitals.Color: #c7c1b3
Hospitals.Declutter: 200
Hospitals.Delta1: 0
Hospitals.Thickness: 1

Lakes.Class: Area
Lakes.Color: #003399
Lakes.Declutter: 1300
Lakes.Delta1: 0
Lakes.Thickness: 1

Malls.Class: Area
Malls.Color: #ff000000
Malls.Color1: #ff000000
Malls.Declutter: 2147483647
Malls.Delta1: 0
Malls.Thickness: 1

Cities.Class: Area
Cities.Color: #000033
Cities.Color1: #000033
Cities.Declutter: 2147483647
Cities.Delta1: 1
Cities.Thickness: 1
Cities.LabelColor: #2D2D2D

Parks.Class: Area
Parks.Color: #99CC99
Parks.Declutter: 200
Parks.Delta1: 0
Parks.Thickness: 1
Parks.LabelColor: #99CC99

Rivers.Class: Feature
Rivers.Color: #003399
Rivers.Declutter: 300
Rivers.Delta1: 0
Rivers.Thickness: 3

Sea.Class: Area
Sea.Color: #003399
Sea.Declutter: 2147483647
Sea.Delta1: 0
Sea.Thickness: 1
Sea.LabelDeclutter: 100
Sea.LabelColor: #A8A8FF

Shore.Class: Feature
Shore.Color: #003399
Shore.Declutter: 2147483647
Shore.Delta1: 0
Shore.Thickness: 2

Stations.Class: Area
Stations.Color: #c7c1b3
Stations.Declutter: 200
Stations.Delta1: 0
Stations.Thickness: 1
Stations.LabelColor: #817a7a

Navigation.RouteColor: #ff66ff
Okay... For those of you who are having difficulty understanding what you're supposed to do with these codes (I did... Took me a lot of looking up and searching to figure it out), here's what you do with these:

1. On your phone, download a free app called "File Manager" and install it. It's here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rhmsoft.fm I am assuming that you have an Android-based phone. Sorry, I don't have an iPhone but I'm sure there's a similar app.

2. Open this web page in your phone, select the code for "day." Highlight it and copy it. I use the "select all" button at the top of the code box and recommend it if it appears on your screen.

3. Open your new File Manager app and navigate to /storage/emulated/0/waze/skins/default/day/4 and open a file there called "schema." Select "Open As Text."

4. Replace all of the code there with the code that you've copied. That is... Highlight all of the code and then paste over it.

5. Close the file, saving as you go.

6. Repeat the same thing for the night code. The file that needs to be overwritten is also called "schema," and is in the /storage/emulated/0/waze/skins/default/night folder.

The last step is to open your Waze app and go into settings and select Settings->Display Settings->Map Color Scheme and select "Twilight." Some people overwrite other schemes - I elected to overwrite "Twilight" since I would have never used it as it was.

A couple of other settings I like, just to put everyone on the same page:

1. settings->Advanced->Auto Zoom is set to "According to Distance."
2. settings->Quick Settings->Mode is set to "Auto."

My tablet in my truck is set horizontally... That is, in "landscape." This seems to work very well on the tablet. Doing the same on my Samsung Note 3 (which is nearly the same size) when I'm in one of my other cars, Waze seems to use larger fonts and menus... So there's not much screen real estate with which to see the map. With the Note 3, Waze works much better in a portrait orientation. The tablet works better in a landscape orientation.

That's it... My first, and possibly my only, forum post. :) Hope this saves someone out there a lot of frustration. I have seen a lot of people complain about roads not having enough contrast, but a lot of others' solutions didn't seem much better to me. Problem solved.

For what it's worth... Don't forget to bookmark this page so you can go back to it again another time. This morning Waze did an automatic update, which overwrote my "schema" files into their defaults. Frustrating to have to go back and do them again, but I did. You will too.
DeepSouthDiver
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by DeepSouthDiver on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[img]https:///9Lblq[/img]

Post by DeepSouthDiver
OMG that would be great! Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum. :)
DeepSouthDiver
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by DeepSouthDiver
If you could do it, I'd be very appreciative! I'm untrusting of my abilities quite yet. :)

Thanks again!!
DeepSouthDiver
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message