These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze Client v1.1.1 Review

Post by ariesboy475
After spending a couple of trips on the v1.1.1 client, here is what I've noticed:
  • 1. The UI looks better. I like that the items to select(events, reports, etc) are much bigger now. It'll help when you're fat-fingering the items.
    2. The main settings are now saved. Maybe it was saved before but did not get loaded when starting waze before. Starting waze after the upgrade loaded my map in 3D, so it seems the setting was saved but not loaded on startup.
    3. The compass shows you the direction of North. If it existed before, I did not notice. But now the compass arrow shows you where True North/North is.
    4. Exiting and re-entering Waze no longer FC. Previously the client would FC. To prevent it previously I had to make sure that I'm not loading something that would take a lot of memory to bump waze from memory. If i loaded something large, I would get FC. If i loaded something small, I do not get an FC when coming back to waze. In this version, I tried to force the FC, but the waze client came back w/o problems.
    5. Didn't have a chance to see if marked, favorites are saved outside of the local app.
    6. Picture with report bug still exist.
    7. Speed cam now shows up, when you drive near one. I don't remember if it alerted you previously.
    8. From the G1, clicking the "menu" now brings up the settings. Nice improvement.
    9. Volume control is now based on Android's volume & the manual settings control.
    10. Waze is now taking 2.74MB (App) & 1.74MB (Data) for a total of 4.48MB
    11. The waze icons no longer show up on the gallery. Where are they stored now?
Over all I think it is solid and ready for publishing on the market! :D
ariesboy475

POSTER_ID:79

Send a message
Last edited by ariesboy475 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ariesboy475
I believe it should be on the market shortly.
ariesboy475
Send a message

Post by ariesboy475
krankyd wrote:
tdcrosby wrote:One additional thing, is there something special I need to do to get the client to produce voice guided directions?
Nothing you can do right now... as they are not in yet. We hope to have the vocal instructions in one of our near future updates, if not the next one.
BTW, I forgot to mention, I actually heard a voice speak to me the other day! I was driving up to a speed cam and i heard a voice. Are there any sound that have already been sent to the client that we should be aware of? I know streets name and turn-by-turn are not enabled but are there any other alerts, messages that does have an associated speech component?
ariesboy475
Send a message

Post by ariesboy475
lookitznaz wrote:Waze is constantly telling me it cannot display the map or route as there is no GPS connection. If I use the Maps.app on my iPhone the GPS finds me instantly and I can route myself anywhere. What's going on?
I think you are experiencing the following: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=121

Check out that thread.

Can it find you on the map? is it just a routing problem or finding you problem as well?
ariesboy475
Send a message

Post by ariesboy475
Fitch wrote:
ariesboy475 wrote:
BTW, I forgot to mention, I actually heard a voice speak to me the other day! I was driving up to a speed cam and i heard a voice. Are there any sound that have already been sent to the client that we should be aware of? I know streets name and turn-by-turn are not enabled but are there any other alerts, messages that does have an associated speech component?
I was listening to Tunewiki and between songs I heard a man's voice say, "continue straight" so it looks like some sounds are loaded.
I started to listen to local music again on my Tunewiki too. Now i'm hearing a lot of waze audio too. Guess the sound are in the apk but the link is not there yet for most messages.

Will there be any sort of Text-to-Speech for road names, etc?
ariesboy475
Send a message

Post by fitch
ariesboy475 wrote:
krankyd wrote:
tdcrosby wrote:One additional thing, is there something special I need to do to get the client to produce voice guided directions?
Nothing you can do right now... as they are not in yet. We hope to have the vocal instructions in one of our near future updates, if not the next one.
I was listening to Tunewiki and between songs I heard a man's voice say, "continue straight" so it looks like some sounds are loaded.
fitch
Send a message

Post by kasrhp
To go with yours

1. def agree. A little cleaner
2. Yes, they are saved now, I like that a lot. 3d pops up right away.
3. It was an option before, but a good option:)
4. def a huge part of the update. A lot more stable
5. Are they saved online? our of app on phone? Interested to know this. Please explain a little more.
6. yup
7. no speed cams in my area, but will be trying out.
8. Def a nice improvement for the UI. Keeps in sync with G1 normal cammands
9. yup

Very good review. Id like to add that it disables you from typing while driving. It wasnt in the previous version. Very good for safety.
kasrhp
Send a message

Post by krankyd
kasrhp wrote: 5. Are they saved online? our of app on phone? Interested to know this. Please explain a little more.

We have added this to our wishlist as other users requested, but currently your favorites / marked locations are only saved locally. If you completely remove waze before re-installing, you will lose your favorites.
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by krankyd
lookitznaz wrote:No, can't find me on the map at all. The regular iPhone maps app works fine.
Can you please try to remove and install again? It might be something in the initial settings.
Thanks
krankyd
Send a message
wazing like a hurricane