These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by robin1979
Maccie73 wrote:Yes, I did.

Waze is allowed to use location services. There is also a little purple arrow next to Waze in the list just like it is next to Facebook in your random picture. This I guess means that Waze is currently trying to use location services, but the green GPS symbol still doesn't light up.
The purple arrow next to the 'on' switch is an indication that waze is currently accessing gps information, so that seems to be correct.

So it seems your GPS receiver in the phone is broken, you might want to download one of the GPS apps in the store to diagnose it.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by robin1979
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
robin1979 wrote:The purple arrow next to the 'on' switch is an indication that waze is currently accessing gps information, so that seems to be correct.
In the Location Services settings, the purple arrow indicates that Waze has access location services in the last 24 hours, not necessarily right now.
From the location services screen itself:
A purple location services icon will appear next to an item that is currently using your location.
A gray location services icon will appear next to an item that has used your location within the last 24 hours.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
robin1979 wrote:So it seems your GPS receiver in the phone is broken, you might want to download one of the GPS apps in the store to diagnose it.
I don't think so:
Maccie73 wrote:GPS location works fine with other apps. I live in Sweden.
This is concerning that Waze can't get GPS synced up but something like the built-in Maps application works fine. Try loading an app like Maps or another GPS app which will stay running when you background it, then run Waze at the same time. I wonder if Waze will be able to connect then?
Core Location (the GPS API on iOS which Waze uses) has 2 modes, a high accuracy and a low accuracy mode. Waze seems to use the high accuracy mode, which is best for navigation, and heavily relies on the phones internal GPS receiver (combined with cell tower data and wifi mac address tables for quick gps lock). The low accuracy mode is able to determine your location without GPS, but is nowhere near as accurate. This is the mode the maps application uses, and therefore that seems to work (but is probably a couple of meters off, but that's not that important for the maps application, since it doesn't really do navigation). Low accuracy mode consumes a lot less battery though.
robin1979
Send a message
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe

Post by usa_4z1pcx16
I'm having the same problem. I reinstalled the app and it still doesnt work.

After my ios 8 install, Waze worked fine for two days, then stopped and began this low res GPS position jumping bit.

Very frustrating. It's not the phones - its either ios or Waze update needed.
usa_4z1pcx16
Send a message