These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

What happen when there's no cell phone signal?

Post by BGreenstone
I do a lot of driving out in the country where the cell coverage is spotty. Sometimes I go 10-15 minutes with no signal. What happens to my Waze data when I'm in those dark areas? Does it get queued up and sent when the cell signal is reestablished, or is that data lost?

-Brian
BGreenstone

POSTER_ID:17011620

Send a message

Post by BGreenstone
Well, what I'm seeing is that if I lose signal for maybe a few miles it queues it up, but if I lose it for more than that it shows up as a jump on my route trace later, so it appears it lost the data.

This is unfortunate because it means Waze can't quite live up to part of it's core mission. There's effectively no way to accurately collate data for many rural areas. I've been unable to get it to correctly see my path to my own home which has no cell signal for about 2 or 3 miles from the house to the next major highway out there.

It seems that Waze should queue up all data indefinitely in order to provide accurate mapping data in non-cell-signal areas.

-Brian
BGreenstone
Send a message

Post by BGreenstone
Yeah, exactly. I went in and edited the road to my ranch. The existing road was all over the place, and it ended about 1/2 mile too early, so I edited it to be correct. However, Waze kinda freaked out because my edits were pretty far off from the huge jump in data that went from the house to the first coordinate where there was cell signal.
BGreenstone
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
Typically the data is lost and Waze will not see you've driven in that area or along that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by taco909
That is also a big problem for those of us wanting to edit in those areas to fix problems that we see on the map.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
You will get a save error if you drag a point too far.
Simply move it part way, save, then repeat until you get it where it needs to be.

This is a better option than deleting and redrawing.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich