These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Waze ODB

Post by Bheleu
I would love for the developers of Waze & Google to create an additional extension that gets data from WiFi (ios) and Bluetooth (android) OBD-II sensors.

Cellular data can still be used when connected to a wifi-ODB or even to AppleTV by setting wifi network connection to Static and Setting the IP address, and Subnet Mask, then leaving the rest of the settings blank. The connection defaults to cellular Internet data but retains attachment to the wifi device or network.

Waze could upload check engine codes and alert us if it is a real issue or not, could alert us to any problems and even help to find help to get our cars back on the road and driving safely - tieing back into YouTube videos of self fix videos for the errors related to the make or even model of vehicle. We could see our cars performance if it logged the data and see performance increases by simple maintenance (air filters, oil changes). Waze would learn about the cars we drive and their health (things carfax would never know), how many some of us have, etc.

There are a vast number of things one could learn if these metrics were reliably logged by the creative people of Google and Waze, and things that could benefit we users as well.

There are Waze Bikers, Waze GPS groups, why not a Waze ODB?

Anyways, a thought on how to spend some Google development Capitol on the users and become an even more valuable tech company.

Enjoy, Bheleu

Something for you all to consider, tried to reach Waze developers with my lone Internet voice.
Bheleu

POSTER_ID:1407243

Send a message

Post by a4bolek
Bad idea.

I agree with post above. Fix existing bugs first before adding any more.

Probably only 20% of global users have vehicle with OBDII socket. From those only 10% will purchase hardware needed to interface with OBDII.

Last thing avarage commuter needs is message "P0400 EGR Flow Malfunction" :shock:
a4bolek
Send a message
Hardware:
Nexus 6P Android 7.0
Nexus 5X Android 6.01
Nexus 10 Android 6.01
Waze 4.6.0.1

Post by axelvdb
Very good idea!
The easiest way to connect all the data from your car to the internet and analyse it.
Personally I'm very interested in what the real cost per km/mile is.
Please consider the ODB integration!
axelvdb
Send a message

Post by Bezmen
Very good idea, it will significantly expand the functionality of the application
Bezmen
Send a message

Post by Bezmen
vloris wrote:Bad idea.

I don't need more functionality in one app: that means the same people at waze need to focus on building and maintaining more features, therefore all those features receive less attention and probably have more bugs.

Please let them concentrate on getting the already existing bugs in waze first!
This will get rid of bugs. There will be backlash location at low speed or when the vehicle is stationary. Will pass through tunnels and restore speed, to determine a stationary vehicle in a jam or he stopped the engine and many other fixes.
Bezmen
Send a message

Post by Chunac
For sure good idea, should not be that compicated to implement interface to device and only fall-back to ODB speed info when GPS data is not available (bluetooth connection).
I'm used to some ODB info when driving. In addition should be nice to have also possibility to add transparent "layer" on map screen to add (few) custom digits like in Torque, i.e. I'm missing engine load (ODB) and height (GPS), somebody else would like maybe something else... This flexible layer is much more effort to implement (and can introduce additional bugs) but would be really nice to have.
Chunac
Send a message

Post by diegott
But as far as I know, Waze is not able to calculate the fastest route including charging stops. Is this something they could add sooner rather then later? The EVS are quite popular in The Netherlands
diegott
Send a message

Post by GerardterBeke
With AOSP / Carplay this data will simply be available over the CAN bus. No need to use the OBDII plug which is actually there for finding errors in the car system.
GerardterBeke
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Country Manager Oman & the Netherlands
WME Stroopwafel Staff

https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... Badge2.pnghttps://i.ibb.co/ZNbYyt5/RIPIain.png

Post by hatzemberg
Very good idea. Especially to read the speed more accurately.
hatzemberg
Beta tester
Beta tester
Send a message
Hatzemberg - Campinas, SP

Post by jkbrchAT
I'd like to see OBD features in waze, I would buy a tongle if it got on waze!
It then would be nice to see your car's statistics on your PC. In the application it could be used for a more accurate speedometer and alerts concerning your car. I would be perfect, if you could change these alerts to your fit, as you can't do this on your car's computer.
jkbrchAT
Send a message