Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

New Update on iPhone, no update house number

Post by
Maybe I am blind, but with the new app on my phone, I do not see where I can input missing house numbers. Am I just missing the button or has this been deleted as an option?

I forget exactly what the option was on the old version, but I am talking about where you put in what the house number is on the left and right side of the street. I want to work on my area better, but can't without this.

POSTER_ID:3107417

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It is no longer available. We've heard for a year now, rumblings that Waze is likely to discontinue house numbers, including removing the layer in the map editor, and relying solely on bing and Google results. They do have the advantage of precise gps location for an address which allows you to map and route directly to multiple addresses on unnamed parking lot and private drives.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The first thing was that Waze has known there are major problems with house numbers and they said they didn't plan to fix it. That was a long time ago. The Known Issues with the layer in Cartouche has been around for a long time, and on-going and unfixed problems with submitting them via the client has also never been fixed. This, combined with the inability to submit them from the client in v3 add up to them being abandoned.

While I liked them and they made some address locations much more precise, I actually would agree with the decision to remove them as we have other methods to provide even better accuracy using Google for example. Not being able to accurately pinpoint a street address for multiple houses on a private unnamed drive is a huge shortcoming of the Waze method.

Now, I do not know or have even received any kind of official communication that this is the direction waze is headed. Perhaps they are planning their own POI database with GPS-precise addresses, etc. like Google. No idea. Just conjecture.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:And why do you say Waze can't indicate addresses for multiple houses on a long driveway? You showed us how to do that months ago, and I've been doing that every time there's a problem. Doesn't that work?
Honestly, I've not done a lot of follow-up, but in the few cases I did try, I could never get Waze to accept the house numbers. They went from blue one day to red the next. This was for private drives, whether the drive was named the same as the main street or not. If others are getting this to work, then great, but my experience has been poor.

Google lets you modify changes to addresses and POIs, claiming moves within 200ft are allowed without "approval." I figure if that is already available, and you can associate an address off the main road down a private drive, then that's a great feature to have, even if it is in another system.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Nickusafgermany wrote:Thanks for the update!! Although I do not agree it should go that way. I mean how in the world will you route to a particular address on a road that is say 5 miles long??? What is the point of navigation if you do not have house numbers?
I don't disagree, but I feel that Waze is moving away from it as a core part of their service and relying on other providers for accurate address location data.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Nickusafgermany wrote:So what does this mean for using waze as navigation? If I input an address on a street and I have never updated the map with that address, will it still find the house? Does waze use data from other providers to find it?
House numbers input from the client still require a validation and save by an editor in the oldCartouche. For navigation, I am not sold on the Waze method of an address having to be on a specific named street. I do like the bing and Google method which associates a street address with a particular GPS location. Waze search will find this on those two providers and route to the point on a street nearest that address, regardless of the name of the street, etc. I honestly think that is a better way to do it. As long as the map editing community supplies some kind of road segment which the driver would take to that location, being a public street or private drive, then it will navigate just fine.

Google allows you to update addresses in their map web interface, which I think is nice.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Addresses can still, for now, be added in with the oldCartouche. Just not from the client in v3.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
dirgela wrote:Adding addresses in client was a pain anyway. If there will be a way to add the numbers in cartouche old or new then I'll be happy :)
AlanOfTheBerg just wrote this above! wrote:Addresses can still, for now, be added in with the oldCartouche. Just not from the client in v3.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Suik wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Addresses can still, for now, be added in with the oldCartouche. Just not from the client in v3.
the questions just is, when they'll get approved (blue) and appear on clients? ;). mine haven't done so for 3 weeks approx. But I know it is not important now.
That process may be paused now, too. Unsure.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:OK, where exactly do we add it? How do we locate the point Google or Bing is using? Do they both use exactly the same point? What if that point is still closer to the freeway than to any other road, parking lot, or driveway?
I go to gmaps and enter the address or search criteria as I would in the client and see where the GPS point is. Usually, adding parking lot roads (ie, mixture of parking lot entrance/exit segments and internal street segments) where they would usually go in the parking lot anyway and that GPS location from gmaps is usually pretty close to those. It usually works out.
mapcat wrote:...why should Waze scrap something more accurate just because it's not always available?
My issue with the current Waze method is that the house number must be attached to a named segment of the same name. Frankly, the actual house location can sometimes be a mile away in extreme circumstances, and for rural residences, is usually 500ft-1/2mi away along a private unnamed road with multiple addresses and my testing of naming that road and adding house numbers to it hasn't worked out. YMMV.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Google allows you to update addresses in their map web interface, which I think is nice.
It's nice that they offer it to the general public, however I wouldn't exactly call the editor nice. ;)
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message