These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

How address a navigation error?

Post by TNT1001
I'm a very new user of Waze (1 week). I encountered a navigation error, and would like some advice.

I have read "What do I do when Waze has my destination or address at the wrong location?" as found at...

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/FAQ#Why_does ... _routes.3F

The FAQ explains exactly why my routing to the destination is incorrect, wherein it describes the following situation...

Waze then routes to the closest location on the Waze map for the GPS coordinates. For example, if Waze routes to the street behind the location, that is because the GPS coordinates for that location are closer to that street behind the location than the street you actually access the location from.

The FAQ goes on to state...

In cases where the pin for the location is accurate but Waze is routing to a nearer (but incorrect) road, the goal is to add or change Waze roads so that the Waze road nearest the pin will lead the routing algorithm to route correctly. This may be done via Parking Lot Roads or unnamed Streets if the public named roads that should be used for proper routing are not sufficient to get nearest the pin location.

Will my repeated navigating/driving to this location get it addressed somehow? Or will someone have to create a "Parking Lot Road?" Could I create such?

I have attached a screen shot from Google Maps. The location of Ohio Combat Sports Academy is dead on, but Waze wants to route via Beeler Dr, from which OCSA is not accessible. Thanks.
TNT1001
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17045814

Send a message
Attachments

Post by felohidalgo
You can fix this error drawing the parking lot road, or editing the landmark as area, then you can choose the destination point.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by felohidalgo
It is great that you got into Waze, now can you get involve with your community and keep the maps update, the best thing about Waze is that we can all contribute. The maps are updated daily, something that no one else does.
If you need more help don´t hesitate to write again.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by TNT1001
Addressing a navigation error in Waze has been a great learning experience for me, and impresses upon me the great capability of Waze, and the helpfulness of the Waze community. Allow me to explain my frame of reference.

In one of our cars we have a navigation system, for which we can obtain database updates in only a yearly fashion, and they're pricey to boot. With the new downtown Columbus, OH exit from I-70 for traffic coming from the east, coupled with the closure of the existing exit this past November…

http://sunny95.com/news/new-ramp-opening-downtown/

I was concerned about my wife dealing with such a major change, as she is rather navigationally challenged. That, coupled with the fact that the DVD update probably wouldn't be available to purchase until next autumn, made our car's navigation system a poor assistant for her if she drove into downtown. So I began to look into navigation apps.

At first I was pleased with Apple’s Maps app on our iPhones, but last December when I looked closely I noticed that the new major exit into downtown wasn’t showing. I quickly found, within the app, the ability to “Report a Problem”. I was able to quickly provide feedback, emphasized that the new ramp was a major change in these parts, and even provided a link to a newspaper article about it. I figured it would get attended to rather quickly since it was so major.

Then, earlier this month, a different situation arose, dealing with my wife feeling rather uncomfortable when she drove our other car that has no nav system. I really got the message, and decided to look even more closely into nav apps for our iPhones. That’s when I realized that Apple has not, to this date, updated their map to indicate the new major exit into downtown!

When I came across Waze, and began trying it out, I was blown away with what it offered. However, it wasn’t long before I stumbled upon the navigation error that brought me to beginning this thread.

Now that I’ve made my first Waze Map Edit, I’m even more impressed with the capabilities Waze offers to get attention paid to even the smallest of details. I’m also very impressed with the helpfulness of the map editors that assisted this novice on his first ever edit. Thanks guys!
TNT1001
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message