TTS with accented characters

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

TTS with accented characters

Postby w1ngz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:03 pm

I live in an area where many street names use accented characters. (é, à, ê etc...)
Specifically, I'm having an issue with the é character, which the TTS seems to interpret as 'aa©', and so when I come to a street such as René Lévesque it says Ren-A-A-Copyright-L-A-A-Copyright, vesque).

ARGH. In the mean time, I've resorted to hijacking the map and altering the spelling of streets on my route to change the é for e.

In english TTS, é could simply be interpreted as E.
The more correct pronunciation would be long A (eh, ay...) as in today or hay.
w1ngz

Re: TTS with accented characters

Postby gettingthere » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I have noticed the same issue. This could be related to the fact that Waze is currently only supporting TTS on the US/Canada server and in reality maybe only the English language (which uses no accents)?

Of course those of us that drive in this region know that French is involved (Canada) as well as Spanish since many street names in the United States are in Spanish.

I suspect that once Waze officially supports Spanish, French, etc. that this should improve. It may or may not be the best approach to remove the accents from the street names on the map. It would be great to have some type of official response from Waze on current and future support of languages in TTS.
Last edited by gettingthere on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: TTS with accented characters

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Added to the known issues wiki.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps