These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

180 degree turns on standstill / very slow speed

Post by oma72vw
Hi,

I have an Moto Atrix and I love and use Waze a lot.

Here is the problem: when I go slow speed or when I am in stop and go, the client turns me around 180 degrees on the road and then does a recalculating route (probably going to the server) since it thinks I am now facing the other direction. I had that happen a lot lately. I got 2 to 3 route recalcs per minute just standing in traffic not moving! This might put a lot of load on your server!

I am not sure if you can incorporate the compass or just make the 180 turns less sensitive. But having my map spin around constantly and doing several recalculations per minute can not be good for your server nor my data plan.

Thanks.
oma72vw

POSTER_ID:2719561

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Can you verify that other GPS navigation apps which also would be sensitive to this movement do not do the same thing? Maybe a utility app which can show you constantly, the GPS location and heading?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by CBenson
This also doesn't happen enough on my Droid2 to be annoying. However, it only started doing it at all in the last month or so. Thus, it seems to me that something has changed to make it more likely to happen.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by gettingthere
RallyChris wrote:I see this occasionally, but normally only near startup of application, when GPS fix may not be solid yet.
Ditto. Doesn't happen often enough to be annoying.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by jasonh300
My iPhone rarely does this using Waze but it did it constantly using Google Maps.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
It happens when your device's intern compass can't figure out where north is.

Prior to using Waze, it happened every time I tried to use Google Maps. The iPhone tells you there's. Agnetic interference and to move the phone in a figure-8 motion, which usually doesn't work.

It only happens in the car so maybe it IS magnetic interference.

When I've noticed it happening in Waze, it's only when I first turn on the app. Once I've started moving and then stop, it seems to hold the last direction of travel.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by oma72vw
I might have seen that very rarely on Google Maps Nav, but it happens at a fraction there compared to Waze. I dont use any other Nav app other than those 2.
oma72vw
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
I see this occasionally, but normally only near startup of application, when GPS fix may not be solid yet.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png