Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by mapcat
CBenson wrote:I really think it is. The bug now happens whenever the route traverses multiple consecutive ramp segments. The difference between the Harding Hwy Exit and the Marian Mt Gileed Rd Exit is that Harding Hwy is split, thus the name used is for this ramp segment if you are turning left. As the segment is unnamed, the name of the next segment "Harding Hwy E" is used.
Well. Didn't see that. Hate those little ramp segments.

Fixed now.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mssusa
banished wrote:Keep right, bear right, turn right, and exit right, all have different meanings to me, so my perception is Waze should consider both the angle of the turn and the transition road type. If the transition road is a ramp, I think TTS should always say "Exit..." If it is anything else, TTS should use keep, bear, or turn depending on the angle: let's say "keep right" is 10 to 35 degrees; "bear right" is 36 to 75, and "turn right" is greater than 75. Insert your own numbers, but you've got the idea. But I digress...
+1

Sorry I can't help testing; it would take months on the world server with the current update schedule :cry:
mssusa
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
I agree with this.

Ramps are used to connect limited-access roads to other roads. They bridge two different levels.

For turn lanes like this, I've always used the "Street" type:

sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by Timbones
mapcat wrote:Do we know if there are any penalties associated with service roads?
I've seen Waze alternate equally between two (short) routes to my house, one of which is via a service road. So no, I don't think there's any penalty.

(There's this old thread concerning service road on the World server).
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by WeeeZer14
sketch wrote:I agree with this.

Ramps are used to connect limited-access roads to other roads. They bridge two different levels.

For turn lanes like this, I've always used the "Street" type:

I agree as well, BUT with the fact that Waze seems to ignore segments of type Street in the middle of trips of a certain length, will a situation like you post cause a problem? The route is technically across primary streets, but will that single Street segment cause Waze to ignore that path?
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
What do you guys think about this case then? US-9 and Texas Rd cross on grade, but you cannot make any turns directly from US-9.
Rt9_TexasRd.jpg
(135.9 KiB) Downloaded 1998 times
IGN has the turn lanes as ramps right now (I may be the last editor on a few segments from when I did triage along US-9) but should these roads then be primary street?
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
banished wrote: These should be unnamed streets or service roads, perhaps, but not ramps. Excellent example you posted! I can see an argument here for setting US-9 at a different level than Texas Rd since no turns are allowed. Oh, well. That's what keeps map editing interesting.
I think the "rule" is going to have to be this: for a connector segment between two roads which cross at-grade, the road type of that segment should be set to the lower of the intersecting road types.

So in this case, primary street to match Texas Rd.

There may also be a need to label the segments depending on signage at the specific location. Imagine if at the end of the "ramp" to Texas Rd there was another street going straight. If you were routed in that direction, Waze may announce that theoretical street or maybe the next turn AFTER that while the "ramp" has signs saying "to Texas Rd".

And finally levels wouldn't work in this case. You cannot turn from Rt 9 directly to Texas Rd, but you CAN turn from Texas Rd onto Rt 9.

And to get somewhat back on topic, I have seen the situation where a regular street intersecting a MAJOR highway at enough of an angle results in an "Exit" prompt. I made it more of a right angle right at the junction and now it results in a "Turn" prompt.
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
Let me try to get even more on topic. This is the same Texas Rd/US-9 intersection. This is what it looks like headed south approaching the "ramp" to Texas Rd.
TexasRd_SV.jpg
(84.1 KiB) Downloaded 1613 times
If it isn't clear, the sign says "Texas Rd / All Turns".

If these "ramps" are made into non-Ramp type and only Ramp types give an "Exit" instruction, then the segment should be named "Exit to Texas Rd" to result in a prompt of "keep right at Exit to Texas Rd".

If we left them as Ramp type or other road types could get an "Exit" prompt, then the segment would need to be named "Texas Rd" to result in a prompt of "Exit right at Texas Rd".

Does that make sense as a way to handle an Exit when it Waze doesn't automatically treat it as an Exit? Any other suggestions?
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
According to the wiki:
These are streets, sometimes called frontage roads, that are typically adjacent to a freeway (or major highway). These could be access roads to the highway itself, but have the property of a regular or primary street.
So I am not sure if that means that a Service Road ranks as high as a primary street? And not sure if that means for routing weight or not.
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I can't think of any exits from I-40 in Knoxville that I use which are NOT announced as exits. But I was able to verify for certain that these are announced as "Exit right..." earlier today:

Exit 388A

Exit to Summit Hill Dr

to I-40/I-75

Exit 380
WeeeZer14
Send a message