Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CBenson
mapcat wrote:Exit to the right at Harding Hwy E (strangely, ramp is named "Exit to SR 309")
If you are making a left on Harding Hwy E, then this is just the skip to last ramp naming bug.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:
mapcat wrote:Exit to the right at Harding Hwy E (strangely, ramp is named "Exit to SR 309")
This is one of those exits where the ramp name is completely ignored and it's just quoting the name of the next street segment. I still don't understand exactly when that happens.
mapcat wrote:
CBenson wrote:If you are making a left on Harding Hwy E, then this is just the skip to last ramp naming bug.
I don't think so. I was turning left at SR 95 also (northbound ramp) and that segment is called Marion Mt Gilead Rd.
I really think it is. The bug now happens whenever the route traverses multiple consecutive ramp segments. The difference between the Harding Hwy Exit and the Marian Mt Gileed Rd Exit is that Harding Hwy is split, thus the name used is for this ramp segment if you are turning left. As the segment is unnamed, the name of the next segment "Harding Hwy E" is used.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So if I have read this topic correctly, we get exit instructions from at least:
  • Freeway to Ramp
  • Major Hwy to Ramp
  • Major Hwy to Primary St
  • Major Hwy to Street
  • Minor Hwy to Ramp
  • Minor Hwy to Primary Street
  • Minor Hwy to Street
  • Minor Hwy to Parking Lot
(Here is a Minor Hwy to Primary Street: https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=8& ... 5,22111055)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
This is one of those exits where the ramp name is completely ignored and it's just quoting the name of the next street segment. I still don't understand exactly when that happens.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mapcat
WeeeZer14 wrote:I agree as well, BUT with the fact that Waze seems to ignore segments of type Street in the middle of trips of a certain length, will a situation like you post cause a problem? The route is technically across primary streets, but will that single Street segment cause Waze to ignore that path?
Good point. It's a long turn lane connecting two primary streets, so make it a primary street.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
WeeeZer14 wrote:What do you guys think about this case then? US-9 and Texas Rd cross on grade, but you cannot make any turns directly from US-9.

IGN has the turn lanes as ramps right now (I may be the last editor on a few segments from when I did triage along US-9) but should these roads then be primary street?
Yeah, I'd go with primary streets, to match the lower rank road at the intersection. What do you do with jughandles?

Nevertheless, I do understand that this is a different situation, in that Route 9 is like a freeway (no turns except via signed exit-like roads) that just happens to have occasional stop lights. Still, it would be hard to justify criticizing the IGN-like right-turn-lane-as-short-ramp obsession if we said it's ok in this case...we know it's a different situation because we've encountered intersections like this, but they have no idea.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
banished wrote:All I can add is if I were the AM, I'd label the connector roads as unnamed service roads.
Do we know if there are any penalties associated with service roads?
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
WeeeZer14 wrote:According to the wiki:
These are streets, sometimes called frontage roads, that are typically adjacent to a freeway (or major highway). These could be access roads to the highway itself, but have the property of a regular or primary street.
So I am not sure if that means that a Service Road ranks as high as a primary street? And not sure if that means for routing weight or not.
Exactly. What does "property" mean. And how do we know whether the wiki editor is classifying based on how Waze has coded them, or simply on what makes sense to him. The latter isn't bad, but it's not especially constructive.

FWIW, for me Texas is the state that comes to mind when I think of frontage roads, since practically every freeway has a continuous set of them through the cities, and many businesses there are located on them (with addresses like "12345 I-35E"). They almost always appear as primary streets in that state.

Back to the OP: I was instructed to "Exit right on Exit to SR 95" this morning. Ramp from a freeway to a minor highway. Pronounced "State Route Ninety Five" in case anyone cares.
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:To make it easy, I'd like to get a few examples of permalinks to the ramps which prompt with "Exit to the left/right" instead of "Keep right at" because I find that it is rare to get the Exit prompt.
Exit to the right at exit to SR 95
Exit to the right at exit to SR 95
Exit to the right at Harding Hwy E (strangely, ramp is named "Exit to SR 309")
mapcat
Send a message

Post by mapcat
CBenson wrote:If you are making a left on Harding Hwy E, then this is just the skip to last ramp naming bug.
I don't think so. I was turning left at SR 95 also (northbound ramp) and that segment is called Marion Mt Gilead Rd.
mapcat
Send a message