These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Searching For A Business By Name?

Post by DougScancarella
What's the best way to search for a local business by name with Waze? I'm having trouble. When I typed in "Burger King" as a test, it found Burger Kings that were very far away. Meanwhile, there was one a mile away, that did not come up. There were at least a half a dozen nearby Burger Kings and they didn't come up either. What am I doing wrong??
DougScancarella

POSTER_ID:17100259

Send a message

Post by gregma1120
The way they do the search results for a business is the worst I've ever seen. Just about every other navigation app at least sorts by distance and gives an indication of distance and direction. I was in a city I've never been to and searched for starbucks in the city (I've learned to add the city to the business name "starbucks issaquah"). There were quite a few, and of course I had no idea which was closest to my location so I had to just choose one. Of course 1/4 mile away and one block over was one I passed on my way to the one chosen. Quite a waste of gas had I not seen the closer one and stopped. Very disappointing!

Greg
gregma1120
Send a message

Post by MoodZy
DougScancarella wrote:What's the best way to search for a local business by name with Waze? I'm having trouble. When I typed in "Burger King" as a test, it found Burger Kings that were very far away. Meanwhile, there was one a mile away, that did not come up. There were at least a half a dozen nearby Burger Kings and they didn't come up either. What am I doing wrong??
Have you tried switching to other search results? (to Google for example) You can do this by hitting the little squares with the Waze Logo or the G of Google.

If Google gives you better results, it might be that the places have not been created in Waze yet, but are present in Google. You can add them manually to Waze through the App or through the Waze Map Editor.

If you don't find them with Google, it might be that they are not present in Google itself (on Google Maps I mean).

In my opinion, the Waze search is really bad (For some basic research for a fast food in my country (Quick) I find results more than 700km away mixed with results from other countries...). It's even worse if you consider they are owned by Google...
MoodZy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Churchill

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/Waze_signature_AM_only.png