How does one report a 'road closed'

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: How does one report a 'road closed'

Postby TonyG-UK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm

They also said it would be done by now, and they've removed the (disabled) button for it from the client.
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:34 pm

Acute (very short term) road closures are a double-edged blade. If it causes a traffic backup, the traffic system will detect it and route you elsewhere. Of course, for very busy roads with lots and lots of waypoints, it can take a little while for the routing engine to determine that there is a backup (and also when a backup has freed up), but I've found that even with any such lag, the Waze system for traffic reporting still seems far more accurate than anyone else in the industry.

If we let people manually report road closures, we run the risk of routing people around "false" closures if there are bogus reports. If we require multiple reports to try to avoid bogus reports, then we are back to what we have now.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CBenson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Simply cancel the closure when waze detects that the road is in use again. I have never seen much risk from bogus closure reports. The problem is that waze doesn't always know whether no data means that no one has occasion to drive the road or that the road is closed, the manual report would let waze know. I believe that waze continues to work on a client road closed report. I also believe that it is needed.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App