These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

losing GPS signal

Post by jimjeffcoat
I have a Galaxy S3 using Sprint.

On a fairly regular basis, Waze will not pick up a GPS signal when I first launch the app. (I can verify that the GPS is working by checking Google maps or GPS speedometer.) However, if I turn off location services, wait about 5-10 seconds and then turn it back on, Waze will immediately pick up the signal and show my car location correctly, etc.

While it seems pretty easy to fix each time, it is frustrating to have to do this over and over. Any ideas on what causes this to happen and how to correct it?

Jim
jimjeffcoat

POSTER_ID:17113007

Send a message

Post by Diredumalde
How long do you usually wait before turning off your location services? Waze uses both data and GPS, so if you're in a garage or Waze is starting for the first time it may take a couple mins for it to recognize you're connected. I had an older phone that gave me this issue with google maps.. my resolution was to have the location services off most of the time then when I was ready to go I would launch the application, and then turn location/GPS on after. It's still a pain, but may be easier than doing the on/off thing everytime you get into your car.
Diredumalde
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2
Send a message

Post by Diredumalde
Odd. It definitely sounds like it's less of an issue with the app and more of a signal or GPS problem. My solution would be a new phone. I just got the Galaxy S6 and it's Amazeballs. =D
Diredumalde
Map Editor - level 2
Map Editor - level 2
Send a message

Post by james890526
How about getting a good GPS location before entering your car? Some car's windows tint are known to interfere with GPS transmission
james890526
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Best regards,
Lee Zhong Zhen
Local Champ - Malaysia

Waze Malaysia http://i.imgur.com/RVOq2tk.png https://i.imgur.com/6Rk8oL5.png https://i.imgur.com/vk73Muu.png

Post by jimjeffcoat
Don't think that's the issue - as I stated whenever this happens, other GPS-based apps work fine. And turning location services off and back on seems to fix it.
jimjeffcoat
Send a message

Post by jimjeffcoat
This actually hasn't happened much at all lately. It comes and goes, and and when it happens, it seems to be persistent for a few days, then everything returns to normal. But I have tried waiting to see if it fixes itself, and have driven for several miles with my location showing up as a dot and jumping from position to position based on closest cell tower.
jimjeffcoat
Send a message

Post by jimjeffcoat
I'm eligible for an upgrade in about 2 months and it can't come soon enough. My phone is giving me all sorts of problems overall.
jimjeffcoat
Send a message

Post by jimjeffcoat
Has not happened since I upgraded to Galaxy S 5.
jimjeffcoat
Send a message

Post by JoeWalker9
Another point of reference:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which has always had intermittent issues w/losing gps signal while on waze. Since my last waze update a couple of days ago (R3.9.5.4) the problem has gotten significantly worse. I may have a hardware issue, but it has been made worse by software. Thoughts?
JoeWalker9
Send a message

Post by MoodZy
It could have something to do with this : viewtopic.php?f=473&t=140725

(i.e. a temporary fix to a bug that has been acknowledged by Google in AOSP)
MoodZy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Churchill

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/Waze_signature_AM_only.png