These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

ETA updating to impossible time

Post by B_Carp
Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this problem recently. Whereas Waze was previously very accurate in estimating ETA, over the past week it has become incredibly inaccurate. I'm wondering if the Waze routers or algorithms have been modified.

When routing from anywhere in Sydney (Australia) to anywhere in Sydney, Waze gives a reasonable ETA. After driving for a few minutes, a message comes up saying traffic is clearing & the ETA become MUCH earlier. The new ETA is an impossibly quick time, eg. Gordon to Concord in 16 minutes for anyone who knows Sydney is just not possible. This occurs at any time of the day, even late at night when there is no traffic to start with, so it's not a true problem of traffic actually clearing. Through the journey, the ETA gradually stretches out back to the original ETA (which was correct after all!), because my car is not moving as fast as Waze would like me to move.

If I go through the process of selecting a new route (tap bottom bar, then Routes), the available routes come up with the correct ETA, including the route currently selected. If this same route is reselected, it shows with the correct original ETA, but the same thing happens again a few minutes later.

So, to summarise, the initial ETA is usually correct, but after a few minutes is replaced with an impossible-to-achieve new ETA due to "traffic clearing".

Anyone have any experience with this or thoughts as to what's happening?

(Edit: This is with iPhone version 3.9.6.1.)
B_Carp

POSTER_ID:17078379

Send a message

Post by B_Carp
OK, found the cause of the problem with further testing. It's a bug in the app. When the app is set to Navigate using Shortest Route rather than Fastest Route, this error occurs. Given that nobody usually navigates via Shortest Route, I'm guessing that nobody else has come across this problem. Will report it to the Waze people.
B_Carp
Send a message