These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

GPS works only when NOT on navigation screen

Post by gyfted1
Hello, I have searched the support pages, the forums and Google and have been unable to find even another user having this issue, let alone a solution. Any assistance would be appreciated.

First, my info:
USA based, in the NY, NJ and PA area.
Phone: Sony Xperia Z C6606 Build # 10.4.C.0.814 running Android 4.3
Battery either fully charged and/or actively charging
Waze release ver 3.9.5.4
Waze rank: Royalty Wazer 92,000+ points

The problem:
When I turn the app on and have GPS turned on, with clear view of the sky, the GPS icon in the notification bar will flash as though searching for GPS and the message will pop up on the top of the screen stating "searching for GPS..." etc. and it will not poll for GPS. Immediately upon doing anything that removes the navigation from the screen, GPS will be polled and Waze works as normal. Actions that make it work include returning to the phone's home screen, using any other app, turning the phone screen itself off, or even accessing menus within Waze which take up the full screen. (I know it is working because the GPS icon remains steady and I can hear audio prompts such as directions and road reports) However, returning to the navigation screen will cause GPS signal to drop again. Rarely, bringing the vehicle to a stop and waiting about 1-2 minutes makes it work, but resuming driving with the navigation screen active will cause signal to drop again. I can't be sure but it seems as though there is a software bug that keeps Waze from polling GPS while the navigation screen is active. What makes this stranger is that the problem is intermittent. Occasionally it works without issue, but most times it follows this behavior pattern.

I have tried clearing app cache, uninstalling/reinstalling Waze, restarting the phone, killing other active apps, keeping the phone plugged in, unplugging with full charge, turning GPS on before the app, turning GPS on after the app, using another app to determine GPS signal (which always works) and have been unsuccessful. Sometimes, any one of these steps will make the app work, but it occurs with no consistency, and most times it won't work at all. The only thing that remains consistent is the app WILL work as long as the navigation screen is not active.

I have set the app to DEBUG mode and submitted the logs with an official report to Waze, but with no response or solution. I don't know what else to do. Any help anyone could provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!
gyfted1

POSTER_ID:4052750

Send a message

Post by Patewilliam
Wow - 3 years have gone by and only 1 reply that did not solve the issue - or at least, if there is a solution, it has not been shared.
Patewilliam
Send a message

Post by solyomtoll
Hi, I have the same issue with my Lenovo A6000 (with lollipop). Sometimes it is good for days but e.g. today it has been losing gps signal repeatably, it was really annoying. I have also turned off the screen and the signal came back in two seconds just as you described. Eventually I drove 100 km with only voice navigation.
Please let me know if you have found out the solution.
Thanks in advance!
solyomtoll
Send a message

Post by vince1612
Patewilliam wrote:Wow - 3 years have gone by and only 1 reply that did not solve the issue - or at least, if there is a solution, it has not been shared.
This issue is about a version of the app which no longer exists (3.9.5.4 is long outdated), it's safe to assume an update has since then fixed the issue. However if you're having similar issues now, please post in the feedback threads for current versions.
Necro-posting in this thread from 2015 just to complain and not giving any details about possible problems you may be having or which device you use, app version etc... is just as unhelpful.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... v18.10.png
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D)(FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
https://i.ibb.co/2k1TJHH/RIPIain.png