These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

[UI Request] Easier way to avoid highways

Post by pixel1975
I frequently use the avoid highways feature, but sometimes I like to take highways.

It would be very helpful if the UI had a better flow to allow this. Currently it takes about 6 steps to toggle the avoid highways switch. I propose the following flow:

1. Swipe the waze button to start the navigation flow.
2. Select a destination
3. in the view that allows you to tap the "Routes" button to choose another route, there should be a toggle switch to toggle highways on/off

Thanks!
--Eric
pixel1975

POSTER_ID:4304451

Send a message

Post by jm6087
michaeljmyers wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:50 pm I live in Miami.  I do NOT want to use the I-95 expressway durning rush hour - it is the most dangerous piece of highway in the USA according to Google.

There are times when I want "fastest", and there are times when I do NOT want to be on the Miami highways, no way.  To many crazy drivers.

This is one reason for why - maybe I could make the selection using Siri ??

The best place to ask for feature requests is here: https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... estion-box instead of on this 12 year old post that is way out of date.
We recommend adding your suggestion there, or upvoting a similar suggestion to make it more popular to the developers.

jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by michaeljmyers
I live in Miami.  I do NOT want to use the I-95 expressway durning rush hour - it is the most dangerous piece of highway in the USA according to Google.

There are times when I want "fastest", and there are times when I do NOT want to be on the Miami highways, no way.  To many crazy drivers.

This is one reason for why - maybe I could make the selection using Siri ??
michaeljmyers
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Just playing devils advocate, but if (and I understand how this is sometimes the capital IF) the maps are correct and waze has some good speed data. Why do you want to artificial influence the routing server to potentially give you a route that may not be as fast?

We do know that for "long" routes, the waze server starts ignoring streets and will only use freeways/highways, but are you actually getting better results, or just feel you are getting better results by doing this?

This feature is most commercial gps because they don't know what the freeway is doing, but Waze "Might" and so using this feature seem counter productive to me.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png