Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Can we create our own route?

Post by
I see there is a map editor. Taking a quick look at it, I can't tell if that is so we can create our own route, or if it is to provide you with information about the route.

If we can create our own routes could you please point me to where I do that? Thanks.

POSTER_ID:5661628

Send a message

Post by AdrGeorgescu
It's very frustrating that you cannot choose your route. I live in a country where the roads are pretty bad, I want to drive only on european roads. Waze will choose any other road because it thinks it is faster! It is not! and it is very very bad with a lot of holes.
AdrGeorgescu
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
OldGnome wrote:You can do that now. Drive your chose route with Waze running and it will learn that it is faster...or not.
Actually, you (or others) have to drive all the potential alternate routes so that Waze has all the data necessary. http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... _routes.3F
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
waytoomuchfun wrote:Waze has not yet offered me my preferred route... I have driven it many times.
Did you read the answer to FAQ I posted above? It's clear that just driving your preferred route will not often result in Waze learning that it is the best, and there are very good reasons why.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
No. Waze is designed to get you from Point A to Point B in the shortest possible time based on real-time traffic conditions.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by dknight212
Waze computes the best route using the permitted roads and turns on the map given your origin and destination. If you don't think it's choosing the best route then it's likely the map in your area needs to be edited with the appropriate turns. See the faq for more information.

David, using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

dknight212
Send a message

Post by gracerx
So that's a "no."
gracerx
Send a message

Post by gracerx
I think it would be great to have a web and mobile interface that would let the user create routes that might be different than the "optimized" routes that waze has chosen. Then waze could compare its traffic info against its highway database, and the users routes, and thus provide a better range of choices for the driver.
gracerx
Send a message

Post by gracerx
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
waytoomuchfun wrote:Waze has not yet offered me my preferred route... I have driven it many times.
Did you read the answer to FAQ I posted above? It's clear that just driving your preferred route will not often result in Waze learning that it is the best, and there are very good reasons why.
Right, I understand that, but I think that if you let users set up their chosen routes, then it would only add to the power of the waze map and route options. For instance I have 4 core routes with slight variations (as many as 5 per route) as traffic comes up. Plus if waze is getting accurate info from those alternates then I can make more informed choices.
gracerx
Send a message

Post by gracerx
Also I believe google lets you save alternate (custom) routes, which could quickly become a competitive advantage as Google Now gets more and more powerful.
gracerx
Send a message