These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

How to add friends that are not on facebook/twitter?

Post by Sinistar83
Sorry I did not see it mentioned in the FAQ on how to add friends to your Waze list.
Is this possible to do so I can see them when driving around? (I'm on Android v3.0)
I have some friends that use Waze but do not like to use facebook or twitter.
Is that how we get the "First friend on waze" 200 scoreboard bonus, or does that really mean "First facebook/twitter friend on waze"?

Thanks in advance :)
Sinistar83

POSTER_ID:68868

Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
"Friends" in waze really means facebook friends that both use waze! There's no other way, at the moment. Other social networks will be added eventually.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by floppyrod84
All or none I'm afraid. You can choose how much info is shown on the app by going to My Waze> Social

using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
In the Facebook options, you can set friend lists up and allow the members of those lists to see as much or as little as you want. This is a function of Facebook though, not Waze.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I'm not sure how you define "close friends" or "family". I haven't done much on Facebook since they introduced that.

I used to play games on Facebook, and I had a "Games" list for the 1000+ "friends" that I had for the purpose of advancing through the games. I didn't actually know any of the people in the "Games" category, so I had it set so people in that list couldn't see much or any personal info or most of my photos or postings.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by mowog74
Just wanted to add another vote for this feature. I don't do a ton of social networking but have turned two friends (real-life ones) onto Waze but can't add them as Waze friends because they either don't use FB or don't want to link to their FB account. It would be nice to be able to add them just by their Waze username or email address.
mowog74
Send a message

Post by Ogien
I also would love the ability to add people on my waze app instead of Facebook as they are older folks and don't use Facebook. Any suggestions?
Ogien
Send a message

Post by PWZ74U
Yet another non Facebook Waze user who wants to add people. I would like to add my wife, for instance. This seems like an easy thing. "Enter user name", then message that user there is a friend request, get confirm or deny, take appropriate action.

I guess you will at least be adding Google+
PWZ74U
Send a message

Post by Sinistar83
Thanks for the reply.

As a matter of fact I showed my sister how to use waze yesterday on my phone and she was impressed with it so we installed it on her phone, but she did not want to connect her facebook account yet. She said she did not want to have all her facebook friends being able to see her anytime when she's using Waze. Is there a way to limit that with only certain FB friends? Like she would like to share location with only close family and friends, and not all the time when the app is running.

Looks like in this video it's only for all FB friends (unless that's' changed in v3.0 as this video is from last year)
Sinistar83
Send a message

Post by Sinistar83
Thanks for the replies.

I see what you mean Jason about going into the individual app settings on FB for Waze and mine is set for Friends Only, but we can change to 'family' or 'close friends' or whatever.
Good idea I will mention that to her to change the app privacy settings to a smaller group of friends on her list.
Sinistar83
Send a message