These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Using WAZE... Is that illegal texting?

Post by apcastig
Using WAZE... Is that texting?

I got a ticket for VC 23123.5. (a) today when I was looking at the map that WAZE was displaying to me. I was stop at the off ramp of the freeway waiting for the light to turn green.

It is not illegal to read a map!!!

A map is graphics, not text.

I'm I wrong?

This is what the California states...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc23123_5.htm

V C Section 23123.5 Electronic Wireless Communications Device Prohibited Use
Electronic Wireless Communications Device: Prohibited Use

23123.5. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using an electronic wireless communications device to write, send, or read a text-based communication.

(b) As used in this section “write, send, or read a text-based communication” means using an electronic wireless communications device to manually communicate with any person using a text-based communication, including, but not limited to, communications referred to as a text message, instant message, or electronic mail.

(c) For purposes of this section, a person shall not be deemed to be writing, reading, or sending a text-based communication if the person reads, selects, or enters a telephone number or name in an electronic wireless communications device for the purpose of making or receiving a telephone call.

(d) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a base fine of twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense and fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense.

(e) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using an electronic wireless communications device while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.
Added Sec. 2, Ch. 270, Stats. 2008. Effective January 1, 2009.
apcastig

POSTER_ID:2800331

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you were not moving, you were not driving. You were stopped. IMO. Also, if they are going to say that this is illegal, then all in-dash navigation systems must also be removed from all cars in California immediately.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Oneiros42 wrote:It should be easy enough to prove you hadn't sent or received any texts or emails at the time you were ticketed.
But he was reading the screen...

While California is at it, why don't they make all reading while driving is illegal? You should also get pulled over for reading reading road signs, what radio station you're listening to, which button is the "hazard" button, what gear your car is in, and the speedometer ("I don't know how fast I was going officer, because READING while driving is illegal"!) :x :roll: :shock: :x
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by apcastig
The definition of ping...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ping
ping/piNG/
Noun:
A short high-pitched ringing sound, as of a tap on a crystal glass.
Verb:
Make such a sound.
Synonyms:
noun. zip - whiz - whistling - whizz
verb. whistle - whizz - zip - buzz

Ping
http://www.techterms.com/definition/ping
This term refers to a golf equipment brand, as well as the sound made by striking your glass with a spoon at the dinner table. However, it also has a computer-related meaning. A ping is a test to see if a system on the Internet is working. "Pinging" a server tests and records the response time of the server. Pinging multiple computers can be helpful in finding Internet bottlenecks, so that data transfer paths can be rerouted a more efficient way. A good way to make sure you do not get disconnected from your dial-up ISP for being idle is to send a ping every 5 minutes or so.

Other source for the meaning for Ping
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Ping

PING is not... texting either!!!

I was not Pinging anyone. I was looking at the map the WAZE was display at me!

So looking at a Large Paper Map or a Large Map book is okay? ;^(
What logic is in that too?
apcastig
Send a message

Post by apcastig
UPDATE...

Had my case in court today.... :D

I fought the Law and I ...WON!!! 8-)

Judge even agreed that using WAZE is a GPS application and it's not texting , because it is a graphic based delivery system not using SMS which is texting.

Can I here a... AMEN? ;)

CHEERS!!!
apcastig
Send a message

Post by bgodette
dmcconachie wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If you were not moving, you were not driving. You were stopped. IMO. Also, if they are going to say that this is illegal, then all in-dash navigation systems must also be removed from all cars in California immediately.
In the UK you don't have to be moving at all, it's illegal to text and/or use a non-hands-free phone even whilst in stationary traffic or stopped at lights!
And don't forget to apply your hand-brake while stopped at the light too!
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by dmcconachie
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:If you were not moving, you were not driving. You were stopped. IMO. Also, if they are going to say that this is illegal, then all in-dash navigation systems must also be removed from all cars in California immediately.
In the UK you don't have to be moving at all, it's illegal to text and/or use a non-hands-free phone even whilst in stationary traffic or stopped at lights!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
Seasider wrote:Just to add my 2 cents, you are legally classed as driving, if your keys (or equivalent) are in the ignition and you are sat in the drivers seat. This applies when in laybys too, and take note, the vehicles engine DOES NOT have to be running. However, it would be a very mean spirited cop that did you in a layby.:ugeek:
I had a tap on the windows once whilst sitting in the passenger seat in a car park and starting the engine to warm the car! :(

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status