These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by floppyrod84
That's what I think too.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I posted about consistent jams on the A299 in Kent, UK but no one seems to have taken any notice...
These are real phantom traffic jams whereby simply driving along that road causes a jam to appear.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
The are you in traffic box is a different thing, and not relevant at all to this discussion.
This thread is about ghost jams which are created seemingly randomly by driving on a road without traffic.
It appears to be either a data transmission problem, or a problem with the historical road average speed being wrong. Maybe both, that's why we're posting the problems we see with this.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by foxitrot
Autourdupc wrote:I was driving at 131 km/h, and Waze said that the average speed was 58 km/h.
What about the wazer in front of you? May have caused it as well...
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
Today (actually, yesterday, the midnight is already over) I was driving in Bratislava, Slovakia and the last 2 minutes of my approx. 15 km / 25 min. route were like this: https://world.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=9& ... =142605571 I could drive the crossings Saratovská-Repašského and Repašského-Fedákova without slowing down or stopping on traffic lights, then drove along Fedákova at approx 20 km/h. At the corner Fedákova-Gallayova I've stopped for approx. 5-8 seconds, looking around for any free parking slot, then continued towards the west end of Gallayova, parking here took me one more minute. Here, sometimes around 23.4.2012 19:26-19:27 UTC+2 I've noticed a red 17 km/h traffic jam on the Fedákova - the portion of it I've driven (more exactly, my small display was showing approximately this view and I've seen the jam on the selected segment), but a couple of seconds later the jam disappeared. I was the only wazer far and wide ATM.

I've already seen such funky volatile traffic jam twice in the last days, but could not remember or note the details.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by fvwazing
Yep, I think shirlig means "false positives" here. Typically caused by a mixture of keeping the car matched to the original route instead of the neighboring parking/gasstation, not recognizing that the car is paused and not just slow, and ignoring the answer to the "Are you in traffic?"-question. The ones that I coined "phantom-jams" (as in this thread or this one) are much rarer and they are definitely not "caused by your driving session".

I am flattered by that we are asked, but also puzzled - these jams are theme of 100s of threads on the forum, they can be provoked anytime, anywhere. Why ask? Just stop at a gasstation on the way to the WazeHQ and you have won a jolly day of debugging.

Sometimes, I think those "phantom-jams" reveal a sinister aspect of the algorithm - starved of data during certain quiet intervals of the day, the artificial Waze-intelligence DREAMS of jams, big jams, long jams, slow jams, dark bloody red jams... :twisted:
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
Hey, nobody said it would be easy. Add to all that the brownian movement caused by a GPS-inaccuracies and you see a fine mess...

However, if I switch navigation OFF when I am in a gasstation next to the freeway my car-icon - glued to the freeway at first - jumps to the correct location and no jam occurs. So, maybe it is enough to use the improved accuracy that the latest generation of smartphones have, and combine that with a bit of heuristics (as in: "if I am standing still BETWEEN a freeway and a parking, chances are higher that I am standing still ON the parking.")

Good to see things are moving in this field, I may generate 1 or 2 of my favorite jams tonight and send them in.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
...or throw in the "Are you in a car, experiencing traffic?" in case there is doubt that the trafficreport that is about to get generated is a valid one. Answer can be via voicerecognition ("yes" is yes, silence or "no" or "humhum" is no) and only a positive answer publishes the event. All other cases automatic.

Would beat most of the false alarms and even more important: on experiencing/recognizing a false alarm every wazer could assume there is a human playing the system and not the system playing us humans.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
gettingthere wrote: I think this was the intent with the 'are you in traffic prompt'. But that is a failure since that does not stop an automated traffic report from being generated. It only allows the Wazer to post a manual report which then makes the automated traffic reporting mechanism 'more sensitive' or 'gives it double weight' to being created.
No - wasn't their intent. Waze is allergic for manual intervention in trafficreportgeneration.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
phil_whiteboy wrote:Today i was playing pac-man in a residential area. There were aprox 10 streets with dots so i was tracing over them. About half of the streets where auto marked traffic with average speeds of 25km.

With this being the average speed limit in those areas, plus many speed bumps slowing your down, made it seem crazy to see half a neighborhood lit-up with the actual speed limit as congested just from little ole me.
"Playing pac-man" suggests that not enough data was collected in these streets - but Waze felt it could generate trafficreports nevertheless? Maybe this is not what shirlig is looking for, but pls report it in detail.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1