Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CBenson
gettingthere wrote:
johnarbor wrote:I don't presume to know exactly how waze makes the determination, but would it not make sense, that waze could tell the difference if a car came to a stop, moved 5 feet, stopped, moved 5 feet, stoped vs car coming to a complete stop and sitting there for 5,10,15 minutes whatever, and then continuing on it's way?
Although isn't this the exact driving behavior if you are at a drive thru window at a fast food restaurant?
And isn't the other driving behavior the exact behavior if you are on the freeway when the accident in front of you causes the car to burst into flames and the road is shut down?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:
jenncard wrote:I forgot about that. There is an "understanding " that no jams are created at 50 meters around a junction, right
If this was the case, you'd never get a jam anywhere in a dense downtown type area where the blocks are only 100 m. Or maybe my idea of 100m is distorted.

How big is a city block?
Yeah, I suspect what is meant is not 50m within a junction, but rather from the slowest 50m of the segment. Jams are certainly generated in downtown DC. And they are typically shown when the traffic is backed up for the entire block.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
It might be helpful to provide:
1) Time (date+hour) including timezone
2) User name
3) segment id / permalink
4) If you can get a screenshot - that would be great.. (optional)
5) Any additional info which seems relevant
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by crazed_out
There is a straight forward solution for this as far as I see it. "fvwazing" was talking about in an earlier reply. The "Are you in traffic?" questioin should never automatically answer "yes" as it does now. Chances are greater that you're not in the car when this event fires, or busy ordering food, drinks or filling gas. A default "No" answer should be a better solution because if you are in a traffic jam you're still behind the wheel and able to answer said question with a "Yes". I've caused some involontary traffic jams while stopping for gas or just to "strech my legs".

That's my two cents on the matter.

Cheers
crazed_out
crazed_out
Send a message

Post by deeggo
I have experienced the same yesterday. Both ghost jams where yellow, so light traffic, where there was none.
deeggo
Send a message
Global Champ. Country manager Nederland & België
NL: Wiki: hoe label ik een (snel)weg correct?
HTC One M8 | Follow me on Twitter
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
Yep, noticed one yesterday on a almost abandoned 10-lane freeway.
deeggo
Send a message
Join Dropbox, free online file sync! Register through this link and give you and me 250MB extra for free. Thanks!

Post by deeggo
I saw a couple of ghost jams again yesterday on freeways. I managed to catch two of them on a screenshot, although there were more, they pop up everywhere. I drove on that freeway on the same time and could see there was absolutely no traffic at all on this 10 lane freeway. Neither are there any gas stations or parallel roads that could trigger this. The first one: A2 to Breukelen, 2012-09-07 13:40 GMT+2 https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&l ... =146630865
uploadfromtaptalk1347090026942.jpg
(58.16 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
And the second one: A2 to Vinkeveen, 2012-09-07 13:41 GMT+2 https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&l ... =143270364
uploadfromtaptalk1347090106965.jpg
(42.69 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
Please let me know if this helps, or if it only helps when you get the info immediately to actually see the traffic jam live.
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
Another example today. This traffic jam was nowhere to be found. I've seen this exact same false traffic jam multiple times before.
uploadfromtaptalk1347610453469.jpg
(57.1 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Location https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&l ... 6,89632718
deeggo
Send a message

Post by deeggo
deeggo wrote:Another example today. This traffic jam was nowhere to be found. I've seen this exact same false traffic jam multiple times before.
uploadfromtaptalk1347610453469.jpg
Location https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&l ... 6,89632718
This traffic jam is turning up regularly now, also this friday morning. Never is there any real traffic. Any progress on this issue?
deeggo
Send a message