"Ghost traffic jams"

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: "Ghost traffic jams"

Postby Jpere » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:47 pm

shirlig wrote:Hi everybody,
We're currently investigating all the "ghost" traffic jams which are automatically generated by the system when stopping at gas stations / parking.
[moderator shortened quote]
Thank you very very much :)
shirli

Noticed this one today caused by me after stopping at a restaurant to pick up some food. Didn't stay longer than two minutes.

1) Time (date+hour) including timezone
9/30/2012 3:24 PM EDT (GMT -4)
2) User name
Jpere
3) segment id / permalink
https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-80.27 ... s=11239655
4) If you can get a screenshot - that would be great.. (optional)
5) Any additional info which seems relevant
The area I was parked in actually has a "Restaurant/Bar/Coffee Shop" landmark on it. Not sure if that's supposed to suppress automated traffic reports.
Jpere

"Ghost traffic jams"

Postby johnarbor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:48 am

gettingthere wrote:
johnarbor wrote:I don't presume to know exactly how waze makes the determination, but would it not make sense, that waze could tell the difference if a car came to a stop, moved 5 feet, stopped, moved 5 feet, stoped vs car coming to a complete stop and sitting there for 5,10,15 minutes whatever, and then continuing on it's way?

Although isn't this the exact driving behavior if you are at a drive thru window at a fast food restaurant?

Ya, guess you're right there. I guess the number of times I've forgotten to turn off waze, and I see it mark a segment red, then I get back on the road and am driving through a red segment at the posted speed limit always made me think there has to be a "model" or "pattern" to someone in a traffic jam vs going through a drive through.

After all, drive thru takes 3-4 minutes, then you are on your way. Even if this was remotely a possible traffic jam, does a 3 minute traffic jam really affect anyone?

Maybe the client should simply wait longer before marking a segment as jammed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnarbor

Postby johnarbor » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:16 am

^ lol

I don't presume to know exactly how waze makes the determination, but would it not make sense, that waze could tell the difference if a car came to a stop, moved 5 feet, stopped, moved 5 feet, stoped vs car coming to a complete stop and sitting there for 5,10,15 minutes whatever, and then continuing on it's way? It would be obvious which car was in a traffic jam, and what car driver walked away from waze when they went into the store to buy a pack of smokes.

I think it would be difficult for any GPS application to make a determination that the car has pulled off the road and is in a parking lot. I don't think GPS's are that accurate to be able to know that for sure.

What about ghost waze cars? has anyone seen those.

I was once driving along an empty country road, and saw 2 different wazers coming the opposite way. Waiting for the headlights of another car, one "passed" me on the application screen, then another approached, and "passed" me too, but never did another car come down the road.
johnarbor

Re: Re: "Ghost traffic jams"

Postby jenncard » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

gettingthere wrote:
With our understanding of the 'lowest 50 meters' traffic filter (may or may not still be relevant), if your gas station adventure didn't have you snapped to the adjacent road and travelling more than 50 meters, your speed data should have been disregarded - no jam created.

I forgot about that. There is an "understanding " that no jams are created at 50 meters around a junction, right
Recovering Waze addict, occasional driver and editor in LA.
jenncard

Location: Somewhere in Los Angeles, but probably on my bicycle

Postby jenncard » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Yesterday I spent 10 minutes at a gas station (no parking lot road, so I was snapped to the adjacent minor hwy).
NO jam created!
jenncard

Re:

Postby jenncard » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:24 am

johnarbor wrote:Maybe the client should simply wait longer before marking a segment as jammed??

Maybe this is what they are trying to evaluate and why they are asking for the very specific information indicated by Shirli in the OP?
jenncard

Postby jenncard » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:36 am

Yay! I get to go through my favorite drive through coffee shop, get my triple shot Americano with cream, AND leave Waze running?

Look out, Boulder. Some regular traffic jams are coming your way...
jenncard

Re: Re:

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:01 pm

jenncard wrote:I forgot about that. There is an "understanding " that no jams are created at 50 meters around a junction, right

If this was the case, you'd never get a jam anywhere in a dense downtown type area where the blocks are only 100 m. Or maybe my idea of 100m is distorted.

How big is a city block?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby invented » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Still seeing tons of these. Got one this afternoon on a nearby street, saying it was going 22 km/h, there wasn't a car on it.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Re:

Postby invented » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Jpere wrote:The area I was parked in actually has a "Restaurant/Bar/Coffee Shop" landmark on it. Not sure if that's supposed to suppress automated traffic reports.

Nope, has to be a physical road. Although I think you've come up with a great idea.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App