"Ghost traffic jams"

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: "Ghost traffic jams"

Postby calcnerd » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

I always leave Waze on when in drive thru lines, etc but make sure when Waze says something along the lines of "we detected you've slowed down...are you in traffic?" I always click 'no'. Is this not the solution to that problem?
calcnerd

Postby dirgela » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:39 am

It seems from this thread that waze thinks that it is possible to guess if you are in the jam or buying yourself a cup of coffee. How realistic it is I don't know, but theoretically it is possible. For example when you go to the gas station, which is not marked, waze still shows you on the road, but it certainly knows that you are off the road (it keeps your icon on the road for some other reasons). So if you go off the road and your speed gets to zero it could be a good indication that there is something else happening, not the traffic build up.
dirgela

Postby LouisTrapani » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:09 am

Forgive me if this was already suggested (there are 5 pages of replies in this thread, I didn't read them all). How about a "pause" button in the app? So that you need not turn the app off, but when you stop (or pause) at a gas station, parking lot, drive-thru window, etc., you can pause the app so that it doesn't send misleading information that there is a traffic slow down at that location.

Along with the pause feature, it should display a large indicator on-screen when you pause it so you know it is in pause mode and so you remember to un-pause when you resume your travels.

I know it's not foolproof, as it requires action from the user. Though it could help a bit with the issue of false positives being reported.
LouisTrapani

Postby foxitrot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Today (actually, yesterday, the midnight is already over) I was driving in Bratislava, Slovakia and the last 2 minutes of my approx. 15 km / 25 min. route were like this: https://world.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=9& ... =142605571 I could drive the crossings Saratovská-Repašského and Repašského-Fedákova without slowing down or stopping on traffic lights, then drove along Fedákova at approx 20 km/h. At the corner Fedákova-Gallayova I've stopped for approx. 5-8 seconds, looking around for any free parking slot, then continued towards the west end of Gallayova, parking here took me one more minute. Here, sometimes around 23.4.2012 19:26-19:27 UTC+2 I've noticed a red 17 km/h traffic jam on the Fedákova - the portion of it I've driven (more exactly, my small display was showing approximately this view and I've seen the jam on the selected segment), but a couple of seconds later the jam disappeared. I was the only wazer far and wide ATM.

I've already seen such funky volatile traffic jam twice in the last days, but could not remember or note the details.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dirgela » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Since in the question it was not clear if shirlig meant POIs, which are marked in the map or any parking, which is not marked I add this case from today.

Time zone: UTC+3 (summer time)
User name: dirgela
Permalink: https://world.waze.com/cartouche_old/?zoom=4&lat=54.60503&lon=25.25953&layers=TFFTFFFFTFFFFFTFTTTTT&seg-1=151836103

Traffic jam was created by me stopping at the shop.

eisiskiu.png
(108.94 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times
dirgela

Postby gettingthere » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:29 pm

The first post in this thread is asking for examples where your driving actions have created a false traffic jam on a nearby road when you are stopped at a POI - gas station, parking lot, etc.
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby autourdupc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:08 pm

fvwazing wrote:
foxitrot wrote:
Autourdupc wrote:I was driving at 131 km/h, and Waze said that the average speed was 58 km/h.

What about the wazer in front of you? May have caused it as well...

...then the jam would have disappeared after driving 1-2 km into the segment. Did it?

The jam was already present before I enter the segment... I saw it far away from me because the zoom was out !
All the time I was on the segment, the little tab indicating the speed average disapeared in the bottom of the screen then reapeared in front of me.
This changed when I entered the new segment.
autourdupc
Localizers
Localizers

Postby fvwazing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:55 pm

foxitrot wrote:
Autourdupc wrote:I was driving at 131 km/h, and Waze said that the average speed was 58 km/h.

...then the jam would have disappeared after driving 1-2 km into the segment. Did it?
fvwazing

Postby autourdupc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:57 pm

foxitrot wrote:

Halas not !
Look at the arrows... They are in the same way as me !
And in front of me, there was nothing... Maybe some sporadic cars on this beautifull 2 ways on each sides of this highway !
Sure, the yellow colour and the average speed given by Waze was not good in this location ; and I was so surprising that I took time to get a screenshot about this issue !

This is not the first time I can see ghost traffic on Waze, but it is the first time I took a screenshot of it !
autourdupc
Localizers
Localizers

Postby foxitrot » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 pm

foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App