Official Feedback Thread: Android v4.0

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Official Feedback Thread: Android v4.0

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:33 pm

levin wrote:
whatnt wrote:
audidroid wrote:4.0 is kind of a let down, there are a bunch of errors on my system.

Running android 4.2.2 on a built in automotive screen that has resolution 800x480.

Android 4.2.2 is ancient. I can't speak for Waze, but I wouldn't expect them to support that--especially on what seems to be a unique device.

That's no excuse! If Waze does not support this version anymore - make it official. Don't allow users of this version to upgrade through the Play Store, and let them keep the previous version.
This version has ruined landscape mode, regardless of OS version or screen resolution.

Again, how could they possibly test every device and every altered flavor of Android in existence?

If such hiccups are intolerable, you should consider switching to the locked-down, highly controlled world of Apple. Apple only allows their devices and their unaltered versions of operating system. I'm not trying to throw you away from Android, but I am trying to show you that these problems are more rare with iOS devices because of their highly controlled environment. But such a controlled and locked-down environment has its drawbacks as well.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:
whatnt wrote:
audidroid wrote:4.0 is kind of a let down, there are a bunch of errors on my system.

Running android 4.2.2 on a built in automotive screen that has resolution 800x480.

Android 4.2.2 is ancient. I can't speak for Waze, but I wouldn't expect them to support that--especially on what seems to be a unique device.

It's not that old; if you were to restrict anyone from using KitKat (4.3) or below, that's over a quarter of all devices knocked out contention. I have well over 100 apps on my phone and I don't think any of them are quite that strict. Most are 4.0 and up, if they have any version restrictions at all.

I'm not sure what's special about 5.0 and up that an app like Waze would take advantage of, anyway. :roll:

Its more than 3 years old. That is ancient in the mobile world. Anything 2+ years is considered old, generally speaking. Why do you think carriers typically have a 2-year contract? Designs change which inevitably exclude previous things, batteries typically don't last longer than that. Two years is the golden rule.

BTW, Android is nearly completely changed internally with Marshmallow (6.0). Most devices can't run it--not even my Nexus 5 which was developed by Google and runs pure Android.

Change happens. Everything can't be supported forever. Change happens quickly in the technology world. It happens even quicker in the mobile technology world.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:45 pm

levin wrote:This is not a cse of Waze failing because of OS fragmentation. The app actually works for that user. It just works BAD, much worse than it used to.
It is a case of totally neglecting any consideration for people using landscape mode (regardless of OS version or screen resolution).
* Landscape mode was poor in version 3, now it is unusable.
* Zoom control was fine, it is now very inconvenient.
* Support for lo-res screens was fine, it is now crude and poor.

Put it all together and you get a version that for many users is a downgrade to the level of making the app unusable.

It is not a matter of OS version or of testing on each and every device - When programming for android you MUST consider the wide range of screen sizes. And when developing a widely used app you should consider your users. Don't just neglect many of them.
And again - this is not the case, but if you decide not to support certain screen sizes or OS versions - prevent these users from ever upgrading. let the keep the previous version. The Play store has these facilities.

I beg to differ. It works just fine on my Nexus devices--and they all have screen sizes differing from 5 inches to 10 inches.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:59 pm

If your phone must 4 feet away and you're having trouble seeing the detail that you need, perhaps its time to find a bigger device?
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:41 pm

I notice that no one is providing specific device models and OS versions when they report problems. Waze will need to know.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Re: Can't add fuel prices in app 4.0.0.2

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 pm

CBenson wrote:
Ricster71 wrote:fuel price update is missing.

Has it been moved, or taken out??

I'd call it a bug: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p1347255

And yet it works on pure Android Nexus devices. I just tested it again, and did so throughout the beta process. So it isn't so much a problem with the app itself--the app works--but with how device manufacturers and service providers alter the OS and delay updates at will, which can prevent any app from functioning correctly. Welcome to the world of Android. :)

I can't say that Waze can or will adjust the app to work with all Android devices. But when those devices number in the tens of thousands, its a difficult task to say the least. It would be more likely to happen, though, if everyone would include their specific device and OS version when reporting a problem.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:52 pm

speedlever wrote:I suggest you put your device model and OS in your signature.

I notice that people tend to not update their signatures. So, IMO, including it in the message would be better. IMO.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:11 pm

a4bolek wrote:You are missing the point here. Issue with fuel prices was reported in BUG-2378, BUG-2430, BUG 2477. Waze knew about this yet decided to push this into the Play Store. :x

Reported as a bug does not mean it is a bug. Did Waze acknowledge those reports as such?

Full-version upgrade of any software often does require a clean install.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:44 pm

Oh OK. I must have missed that.

It doesn't always happen, so it must be a difficult thing to fix.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:41 pm

JWISE0391 wrote:Did I miss something or did you remove the ability to report information by direction. IE....
Car on shoulder traveling opposite direction?

The rumor is that that function was removed because people were misusing it. For example, when driving on a road that is actually divided in Waze as two one-way road segments, people often think it would place the report on the other Waze segments for something they saw on the opposite side of the road.

But that's just a rumor.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App