These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Continuously changing ETA

Post by UnfortunateBystander
On a recent trip to Los Angeles, during the last hour I got a continuous (ie. every two minutes or so) sequence of ETA changes first faster, then slower, then faster, then slower, etc. etc. Is this typical of driving with Waze in LA? The time difference scaled with distance to destination. At first it was 30 minutes or so until finally is was less than 5 minutes. Very annoying!
UnfortunateBystander

POSTER_ID:5185021

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Were you getting popup notifications or just saw the ETA changing?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by gettingthere
There are other threads here in the forums regarding issues with Waze, traffic, and ETA's. Based on what you have described, seems like one of the bugs. I escalated these issues to Waze and got a reply this week that they thought that everything was fixed. It most certainly is not.

Waze introduced redundant routing servers late in 2011. This was to make the service more reliable since the routing servers are responsible for setting the route, capturing traffic data, and possibly updating reports, jams, Wazer locations, etc. There may be other layers of serves that do some of these things, we don't know for sure.

In any case, I suspect that the issue with ETA's constantly flipping back and forth may be due to the routing servers not being in-sync in regards to the current traffic jams. The data needs to sync between routing servers 'real time'. Your application gets an ETA from one routing server, then a moment later get's another ETA from another routing server. Your client application thinks that traffic conditions have changed and notifies you.

If you see this again, please try to capture some screen shots of what is going on and post them here. We need to prove to Waze that this is a problem.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by UnfortunateBystander
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Were you getting popup notifications or just saw the ETA changing?
I had a steady stream of pop-up notifications, every couple of minutes. I did a screen shot for some of them, I see 22 in my camera roll on the iPhone. By no means did I capture every one.

---john.
UnfortunateBystander
Send a message