These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Feature Request: New Camera Type Option

Post by
In the same way that Waze supports the mapping of speed and redlight cameras, It would be great if we could also tag Traffic and General Surveilance cameras too.

People might start to pay attention to the proliferation of the police/spycamera state if they start to see * :idea: just how many :idea: * cameras there are ...

POSTER_ID:5053835

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
How do these cameras affect driving patters or behavior? IMO, if it has zero effect or relevance to driving, it has no business being within a navigation/commuting app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Mobile speed cameras have been suggested before, too. I'd like to see them replace "Dummy" in the app. They should function like Police tags.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I agree that this isn't an extreme example. The mobile camera option would never make it onto the map, though. It's a client-only thing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bgodette wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I agree that this isn't an extreme example. The mobile camera option would never make it onto the map, though. It's a client-only thing.
True, if it were a client reported alert like Police, that's fine. Didn't you suggest just flagging photo-radar vans as Police from the client anyhow?
Yes, but I do feel that most people report these as cameras instead of police, so it would make sense to adjust. It's more logical that way, too. Which is why people are doing it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Yes we really need yet another camera, that people never confirm, that clutters the map, and possibly slows down tile generation. And they can't even get Opticom vs Flow monitor vs Red Light vs Speed vs Dummy right.
Opticoms-everywhere.jpg
(237.25 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
Bozwell wrote:That's a pretty extreme example. Maybe Waze could add a bit of sensible logic to the creation of cameras so that it only saves 2 camera locations ever 500 yrds or something like that. The other problem is that it is not clear when you add a camera from the App that you also have to go to the map editor to confirm it. I expect 99% of Waze users are unaware of this.
Actually, that isn't an extreme example, that's all too common in any place that isn't being cleaned on a daily/weekly basis. You can at just about any major metro along in the US and see the same exact thing wherever you look, barring the well maintained cities. I've actually have seen worse than the image I posted, full zoom out and it's just a solid wall of brown, can't even see the confirmed cameras, road layer, or aerials.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:I agree that this isn't an extreme example. The mobile camera option would never make it onto the map, though. It's a client-only thing.
True, if it were a client reported alert like Police, that's fine. Didn't you suggest just flagging photo-radar vans as Police from the client anyhow?
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bozwell
In the UK at least the mobile speed trap are usually found in the same places. It would be good to place them on the map but at the same time show that they are not perminent cameras, just a 'possible speed camera' site.
bozwell
Send a message

Post by bozwell
That's a pretty extreme example. Maybe Waze could add a bit of sensible logic to the creation of cameras so that it only saves 2 camera locations ever 500 yrds or something like that. The other problem is that it is not clear when you add a camera from the App that you also have to go to the map editor to confirm it. I expect 99% of Waze users are unaware of this.
bozwell
Send a message

Post by Dave2084
I'd like to see average speed camera zones supported. As you enter an average speed zone Waze could monitor your average and warn you if you end up going above the reported speed.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)