Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by cymike
xteejx wrote:What was the point of doing that?
Just wanted to see how different versions relate/differ etc. Git repository makes it convenient. Also it might be convenient for people who want to make their own improvements/modifications.
3.0 source isn't even available yet.
3.0 changes seem to be mostly gui-related anyway.
cymike
Send a message

Post by cymike
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Is the Waze 3 client GPL?
Interesting question. The wiki page on copyrights ( http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Copy ... d_licenses ) hasn't been updated since 2010 apparently.
xteejx wrote:Even though the client is GPL, Waze are not obligated to release the source within any timeframe
http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html
The GNU GPL demands that as soon as you distribute GPL licensed software in executable format you make available the "complete corresponding source code".
"As soon as..." looks like a rather specific timeframe.
The question remains whether v3.0 is still GPL (if the devs removed all GPL code from it or not).
cymike
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
What was the point of doing that? 3.0 source isn't even available yet.

Sent from my Telenor_OneTouch using Tapatalk
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Not according to the devs. There was quite a big base rewrite to be able to use all the extra features etc, but that may be to stir up interest.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
You certainly can, on Android at least.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Even though the client is GPL, Waze are not obligated to release the source within any timeframe, although leaving it too long 'may' be considered a breach of the licence as they're required to contribute source back to the community. I may email them about this tomorrow.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
They haven't. It wasn't a complete rewrite. Its still based on code from Ehud's roadmap for linux. If it contains even a single line of GPL code it MUST be GPL itself and as above, must be released immediately or hosted on something like github.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Yeah but I'd bet there's still GPL code in there, but that's not for me to pursue.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
That's already been said about the possibility of there still being gpl code in the product, but there's no way of knowing.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Indeed. If it's their licence they can do whatever the hell they like with it. I know I've seen some projects change the game at times, but all previous source before any licence change should be available.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message