These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

When will be an offline version?

Post by
When will come out an offline version?for people who dont have too much money for paying big bills for data transfer???

Post by iKonixx
The problem with being offline is that the phone has to download each tile as you move so that you can see the roads. It can't do that with no connectivity.
iKonixx
iKonixx

Area Manager: Dallas/Fort Worth TX
iPhone 4
ikonixx [at] gmail [dot] com

Post by Hellek
iKonixx wrote:The problem with being offline is that the phone has to download each tile as you move so that you can see the roads. It can't do that with no connectivity.
No, it is not that bad. Waze appears to be using the actual street-data like you see it in cartouche, and not images (what you see is generated by the phone based on the data). Try disconnecting your phone and find a route somewhere near you (in an area that was already loaded). It should work, unlike tile-based navigation systems which can't do that. So in theory it should be able to work offline without any big problems. I hope the devs implement a way to download maps.

PS: Just to explain: Tile-based navigation systems can of course cache tiles as well. But tiles are just images, they are no use for routing. Those systems completely rely on servers for that. Systems which download the actual data (roads geometry, details, etc.) can use offline routines for finding a route.
Hellek

Post by buzz86us
If this had the option to download pois and maps this would be the perfect app.
buzz86us

Post by gettingthere
Offline mode defeats the main purpose of Waze:

* Capture crowd sourced traffic data
* Use the data to help other Wazers avoid traffic

If you don't have a data connection, none of this works.

There are plenty of other navigation applications that provide full offline maps for general navigation without a data connection.
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by Borgholio
I think "offline" mode is a good idea. Granted the live traffic and such would be unavailable but depending on a data network for basic functionality is not wise. Motion-X lets you cache the entire route before you even leave the house, so if you lose cell signal but still have GPS, it still works. Plus, Waze could store any mapping data accrued during the "offline" session and upload it to the servers once a network connection is available.

You are correct that other GPS apps already have an effective "offline" mode. So why is Waze being left behind?
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

[img]https:///NvxDK[/img] [img]https:///ZPXMBb[/img]

Post by gettingthere
Borgholio wrote:You are correct that other GPS apps already have an effective "offline" mode. So why is Waze being left behind?
It's not that Waze is left behind but that Waze is not currently marketed as a general GPS application. It's currently marketed as a niche GPS application whose primary function is to harness the community to avoid traffic.

It may be migrating more towards a general GPS application, and if so Waze will need to adjust the feature set and the way the the automated community traffic harnessing works. Of course, Waze is really not saying that they are or are not a general GPS application...

In addition, Waze has built the product assuming you have a data connection and invested in the routing occurring on their server. That is where the complex logic is being built. Yes, the client can do some routing on it's own, but routing is not the strength of the client. If they go this route, they need to re-think their entire architecture and model.

Also, keep in mind that Waze has previously stated that they are interested in selling the traffic data that they collect. They provide you with a free application, in exchange they get data from you - which they want to sell.

If you are offline you are not contributing data that Waze wants/needs to have a viable business. They have no incentive to provide this option, unless they change strategies.

(I see RallyChris posted before me)
gettingthere
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico

Post by Borgholio
Right, that's what I mean. If Waze loses connection, you're screwed. Being able to pre-cache your route would be a very handy function.
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Post by dmcconachie
Borgholio wrote:Right, that's what I mean. If Waze loses connection, you're screwed. Being able to pre-cache your route would be a very handy function.
How so? I regularly lose connection at certain points on my travels and the app continues just fine! I don't get reports or see other wazers but I wouldn't class it as being "screwed"
dmcconachie
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by Borgholio
dmcconachie wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Right, that's what I mean. If Waze loses connection, you're screwed. Being able to pre-cache your route would be a very handy function.
How so? I regularly lose connection at certain points on my travels and the app continues just fine! I don't get reports or see other wazers but I wouldn't class it as being "screwed"
I guess it depends on the location and severity of the outage. If it's just a brief hiccup then yeah it won't be a problem, but my latest trip to Big Bear, CA (mountain community) spent most of the time in a dead zone until I got up the mountain. Motion X had my GPS location and pre-cached maps so it was fine even though I was without connection for close to an hour.
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Post by dmcconachie
macjonte wrote:I use the option under advanced to download the map of my area on a wifi network, then going offline when out driving. Very important when abroad. Roaming can without problems be 10€ /MB, and you don't want to spend that on traffic information, I just want to find the hotel.

I wish google maps would be able to do the same as waze with predownloading an area, but it can't, so I use waze when I walk, subway, trams etc abroad.

So I would say the functionality is already there, but it can be worked on so it works smoother..
Not that I want to stop you using waze but you know Google Maps can pre-cache an area? Enable it in labs under settings!
dmcconachie
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status