No data for 1hr = Waze doesn't recover network connection

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: No data for 1hr = Waze doesn't recover network conne

Postby deeggo » Wed May 16, 2012 11:55 am

crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Waze used to handle this a lot better. I live in an area that is really spotty in cell coverage and usually lose ~10 miles a day when I go the route of the highway.

Then a workaround might be to dig up the last v2 version of the client from this forum and use that one. Why not? Of course, that's not a solution, just a workaround.
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: No data for 1hr = Waze doesn't recover network connectio

Postby betoaoki » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:51 am

For the past week I´m having the same problem. Waze can´t connect with its location servers, mostly when using 3/4G, but yesterday for a time couldn´t connect even with wifi!

Clearly there is some data coming/going because it updates some traffic information, but everytime I want to trace a route or indicate something in the map, it just keeps trying to connect with the servers.

Currently I live in Sao Paulo, Brasil. Galaxy Note 2, Android 4.4.2, Waze 3.8.1.0
betoaoki

Postby bgodette » Wed May 16, 2012 11:04 pm

gettingthere wrote:It may no longer be viable to monetize the traffic data. I don't believe that Waze has managed to sell any of this traffic data to anyone as of yet.
Sort of, depending on how you parse what was said in TWiST #226, the map, traffic data, or both were sold in certain markets. I'd imagine in some countries there's a real lack of any comprehensive traffic profiling which is something Waze can provide for those markets, however it's a quickly saturating market to where the data is so cheap as to be insignificant in comparison to operating costs.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Wed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm

cymike wrote:Their business model seems to be based on monetizing traffic data contributed by users. See http://waze.tv/ for example.

It may no longer be viable to monetize the traffic data. I don't believe that Waze has managed to sell any of this traffic data to anyone as of yet. The only known users of the traffic data are other Wazers and some local news stations. Waze is not charging the local news stations to use the traffic data. I believe that Waze is using these relationships to 'advertise' Waze and get more Wazers into the system hoping that they figure out some way to monetize Waze, eventually.

From the waze.tv link - "100% free, all you need is an iPad and Apple TV."
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:53 am

Well, not necessarily us, but as with Facebook, our data is invaluable to them and is indeed where they will make their money. Personally, I don't have a problem with this, since it's not personally identifiable information, it's pretty much just a load of anonymous data.
Besides, we are also benefitting from the data as it's making the product better by also giving us the opportunity to edit the map better than if there was just aerial images.

Using Tapatalk
floppyrod84

Postby thefatveganchef » Tue May 15, 2012 11:15 pm

Like facebook, we are the product not the customer.
thefatveganchef
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby cymike » Tue May 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Their business model seems to be based on monetizing traffic data contributed by users. See http://waze.tv/ for example.
cymike

Postby invented » Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm

cymike wrote:
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Waze used to handle this a lot better.

Well, it used to handle many things better. I recall a time when there was no more than 1-2 days of a delay between map edits and map tiles reflecting them (even that delay was annoying). Now a map tiles update is considered a newsworthy event, takes weeks and sometimes a few announcements of additional delays precede it :(
Come on guys, get your act together. Waze is such a great idea but such a poor implementation :(

Isn't the app free? I can't remember if it was $0.99 or not. I often wonder how they get their money to stay afloat.
invented

Postby cymike » Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 pm

crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Waze used to handle this a lot better.

Well, it used to handle many things better. I recall a time when there was no more than 1-2 days of a delay between map edits and map tiles reflecting them (even that delay was annoying). Now a map tiles update is considered a newsworthy event, takes weeks and sometimes a few announcements of additional delays precede it :(
Come on guys, get your act together. Waze is such a great idea but such a poor implementation :(
cymike

Postby thefatveganchef » Tue May 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Waze used to handle this a lot better. I live in an area that is really spotty in cell coverage and usually lose ~10 miles a day when I go the route of the highway.

Today I went to the post office and lost connection 2.5 miles away from my house. The post office is 6 miles away. I also decided to go off my normal route and drove ~5 miles worth of cookies which since I was off network, never registered. The data did reconnect in just about the same point as the disconnect, and that portion was recorded. So 17 miles of driving and only 5 miles recorded in two segments. I remember previous versions as long as you started the journey on network or wifi all of it got recorded.
thefatveganchef
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App