Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

iOS Beta 3.1.99.15 Feedback thread

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Not sure if we're supposed to be posting feedback here, but I shall.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
General usability of iOS beta 3.1.99.15 is good. Here's some specific feedback:

Report Map Issue menu
Once in the Report Map Issue menu, in portrait mode, the last issue type which shows fully onscreen is "wrong driving directions." Even though this item is fully on the screen, it is impossible to tap on it to select it. The list must be scrolled first. This is different than functionality under the current general release version. See video:

[youtube][/youtube]

Event Radius "on route"
MISSING. So easy to add. Why, oh, why not? It's been on the request list for over a year.

Find by Category
Seems to work reasonably well. However, results are not always sorted in distance ascending order. See video.:
[youtube][/youtube]

Gas Station category Info tab only displays "We're sorry, but something went wrong."

Personally, I would rather see Foursquare as the default search engine for category, but that's just me. It seems to have more results and more accurate results than yelp.

Request: in the Map overview mode for seeing the category results, please add zoom buttons and a the north-up button. The stretch-pinch method for zooming is fine, but it's really hard to get the map back to north-up and can therefore be disorienting if you don't know which was is north once the map gets rotated.

Favorites
This has been around for a while, but why is there a small > button on the right side of all the favorites? When going to Favorites via Navigate, I would expect a submenu to pop over which brings up details and the ability to change it, but all it does is navigate to that favorite, which is the same as just tapping anywhere in on the line. Unless that > button means something, it shouldn't be there. (It seems I've been able to bring up the favorite details only very seldom. It's like a magic spot or something.)

Navigation List on arrow/street name tap
Very nice. Thank you for listening! :) Being able to bring up the navlist by tapping on the turn arrow or street name bar is very useful.

Gas Stations
I did not see any gas stations specifically tagged on the map in any special manner. A few where have been added as landmarks for a long time are there, but I was thinking it would be something different.

I was able to navigate to a gas station easily after searching by price. Stations are sorted in distance order (mostly) instead of price. A way to toggle that would be nice. There is no way to show prices of midlevel or premium gasoline (yet?).

As mentioned above, the Info tab isn't functional, but I'm thinking that area is to display all gas prices for the selected station.

The pre-release notes mentioned being able to set preferred gas type and brand, but I do not see this in the Settings interface.

Gas Prices
My first attempt to update gas prices failed. It just read "Sending update..." and twirled, but nothing ever happened. The next five gas stations I updated prices for worked just fine.

In the US, all prices are shown on signage down to the penny, plus 9/10 of a cent. It appears that the pre-loaded data has rounded that up to the next cent as most every price I updated was off by 1 cent. This isn't surprising. However, when anyone talks about the gas price, the 9/10 part is left off any we do not verbally round up. If the sign says $4.17 9/10, we call that $4.17. Any auto-loading of gas prices from other sources should simply truncate the .009 instead of rounding.

There is a wide-range of gas prices which are colored the same. What is the criteria?

Request: Gas price points should be 3, not 2. It's just too little reward for spending time to enter the data.

Question: How do you enter price if a fuel type isn't offered? Zeroes?

Pave
Road paving has been moved under "Map Issue" as a tab.

Road Hazards not equal to those using ASR
There are still more hazard reporting options using ASR than there is using the old tap method. It would be nice to have parity here.

Mutistop routing
This is a long-awaited feature and it is really nice to see it implemented. Some will be disappointed that it is currently limited to a single stop between start and destination, but this is a good start. Right now, you cannot add more than one stop point. You cannot get alternate routes once a stop point is added.

The bugs I found were:
  • If you tap-hold select a spot on the map as a stop-point, Waze crashes
  • When you arrive at your stop-point, Waze announces that name/address/street of the final destination
  • Distance and ETA to stop point is frequently incorrect. Sometimes I will set the stop point and it will say 1min/50ft and the location is several miles away.
  • When in stop-point navigation mode and select a new destination to navigate to, the route color remains light blue instead of reverting to purple, which is the color it should be for single destination mode.
  • ETA and distance display does not appear after adding a stop point until you touch/pan the map.
Request: Add a "add stop point" button on the route overview dialog with the "Cancel, Routes, Go" buttons. This would save time over having to go back into the navigate menu.

TTS
There was a situation as I approached an intersection where my destination was very close. It tried to say, "In .1 miles, turn right at State Hwy 99W and arrive at your destination" but what came out was, "In .1 <pause> miles, turn right and arrive at your destination. <long pause>State Hwy 99W. Turn right at State Hwy 99W and arrive at your destination." That "State Hwy 99W" should have been in the first sentence, but instead came out after.

General
Bugs still existing:
  • Speed limit bug: not all speeds can be displayed
Sad not to see Toll Road avoidance added in to this version.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Shorty-CM wrote:1) Slide to navigate
2) Hit Categories
3) It crashed, so restart it and try again.
I've been using this with no problem. Probably have gotten routes to 15 different locations in almost all the categories. No crashing.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Shorty-CM wrote:This has always worked fine for me. I hit the > arrow button and it brings me to the screen as attached.
Yep, I've seen it happen myself, but I can't find the magic spot. Maybe my fingers are too fat?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
To Dave:
- Prefer Goodie Munching is still on on the world server, right? It's server-side setting and they haven't turned it off despite assurances it would happen.
- The Inbox is for the future integration of message, firstly, I think, focused on editor/wazer communication regarding map issues.

More driving and testing today and not a lot of good news:
  • Continuing bug: north-up lock. While it seems better and kept north-up for me through route stopping, rerouting, alternate routes, etc., it seemed to unlock randomly after it appeared to be set.
  • add-a-stop never announces arriving at the added stop, but announces the name of the final destination both times. I wrote this before, but am confirming it has happened to me every time
  • When adding a stop first, before the final destination, as is allowed by the interface, Waze orders the route incorrectly and routes you to your final destination first and then to the added stop.
I did experience a crash today, but I don't recall the circumstances. Of course, running in debug mode and logs were uploaded.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
A lot of the menu items are loaded on client start-up. I requested and a menu item renamed in under an hour on the v2.4 client once. No release required, just an edit to the XML file on the server.

Dave, is the Prefer Goodie Munching still showing on the iOS current release? If so, then what you are seeing in the beta is consistent. Again, we have no idea why they haven't removed it from the ROW servers. They said they were going to do it a long time ago.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
gettingthere wrote:The 'ding' sound when the 'Are you in Traffic Prompt' is displayed is VERY loud!
I noticed that as well. The alert sound when rerouting due to going off-route is also VERY loud.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: There is a wide-range of gas prices which are colored the same. What is the criteria?
As I mentioned in the email- green indicating cheap, red indicating high.
Indeed you did, but I see green prices which range by $.05-$.07. What is the criteria for determining which ones are colored green? Is it within a certain % range or absolute cents?
perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Question: How do you enter price if a fuel type isn't offered? Zeroes?
Sorry, didn't understand that one. Please explain.
Some stations don't offer diesel, so how do you enter that on the price update screen? Especially, I have found some stations which do not serve diesel, yet there is a price listed in the gas price update screen. How do we make sure this is set properly so there is no price? Use zeroes or try to delete the price?
perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: When in stop-point navigation mode and select a new destination to navigate to, the route color remains light blue instead of reverting to purple, which is the color it should be for single destination mode.
Failed to reproduce. Does it happens a lot or just once?
I have seen it more than once, but I have not determined the exact steps to reproduce.
perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: When adding a stop first, before the final destination, as is allowed by the interface, Waze orders the route incorrectly and routes you to your final destination first and then to the added stop
You're a bit confused. There isn't a possibility to add a stop before the final destination. When you choose a destination, then tap the More button (in the preview screen) you're able to see "Add stop point", not "Add as stop point". Meaning, when tapping that option it will allow you to now add a stop point to that (final) destination you first selected. See that a pop-up follows that step, saying "You should now search for and select your stop point".
You are correct I was confused by the menu option name under More. The difficulty here is that, logically, when thinking about a route, there are two options:
  1. think about your final destinations and then think about the stops you need to make before you get there
  2. Think about the stops I need to make and then getting to my final destination.
I often think the 2nd way, and so was thinking I would set my intermediate stop(s) first, then set my final destination. While I am searching for a destination, it would be nice to be able to set the stop point first, but now that I understand that a final destination must Always be selected first, I suggest changing this option under the location More menu to read, "Set, then select stop point" to be more clear that you are "setting" the destination, and "then" I will set my stop point.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Shorty-CM wrote:Client volume setting isn't respected. Alerts and prompts come on at full volume, regardless of client volume setting. This has been like this for a few versions now.
I haven't experienced this yet. Both the Device Volume and Prompt Volume sliders appear to work better for me than the current release.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Positive note: The share ETA/late email and txt correctly report the current ETA, even after driving for quite some time. 8-)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message