Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

GPS Coordinates as Destination

Post by jlciii
In an earlier version of Waze, I used to be able to cut / paste GPS coords into Waze from other apps, and then navigate through traffic with it. However, now, in the latest version, Waze searches for a destination with the name "N xx xx.xxxx W yyy yy.yyy", and then reports that it can't find that destination. Google Maps allows me to do it still, though would prefer to use Waze.

Can we get Waze to again accept coordinates as destinations?
jlciii

POSTER_ID:4560858

Send a message

Post by a4bolek
Format Lat, Lon works great in Waze app and GMaps however in Waze live map or WME you have to use Lon, Lat format.
a4bolek
Send a message
Hardware:
Nexus 6P Android 7.0
Nexus 5X Android 6.01
Nexus 10 Android 6.01
Waze 4.6.0.1

Post by a4bolek
TeamGeofrog wrote:I'm with jlciii. iPhone user, and this worked for my up until last week. I could enter N 41° 14.933 W 074° 00.430 and it would bring me as close as possible. This worked great for years. This week, not so much. I really need this feature back as I mainly navigate with coordinates and in this format.
Apparently format for searches using coords has changed. Here is link to new Help article regarding this issue:

https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6263232?hl=en

If you need to convert between formats use:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/dms-decimal
a4bolek
Send a message
Hardware:
Nexus 6P Android 7.0
Nexus 5X Android 6.01
Nexus 10 Android 6.01
Waze 4.6.0.1

Post by Czelda
TeamGeofrog wrote:I'm with jlciii. iPhone user, and this worked for my up until last week. I could enter N 41° 14.933 W 074° 00.430 and it would bring me as close as possible. This worked great for years. This week, not so much. I really need this feature back as I mainly navigate with coordinates and in this format.
I am ANDROID waze user and the situation is the same :cry:
What had been working for ages was gone with the last update :cry: :cry: :cry:
I store most places and parking points in this "degrees, decimal minutes" format (e.g. N 49°37.759' , E 15°54.895') in Locus (BTW this is the most common format for geocaching) and only copy and paste from there to waze when necessary. Converting to another format (e.g. 49.629324, 15.914914) is a real complication. Please, bring the feature back :!: Thanx
Czelda
Send a message

Post by FzNk
jlciii wrote:I must be doing something wrong then -- I'm in the Geocaching app that I use and it shares coords in the following format "N 37° 37.143 W 122° 01.265" but when I type it, or any of the following variants into the "Search Destination" box, it searches for a place named "N 37 ....". Per recommendations above, I've also tried:
- N 37° 37.143 W 122° 01.265
- 37° 37.143 , 122° 01.265
- 37 37.143 , 122 01.265

In general, when it searches for any of these, it appears to be searching for a location with "37" in its name, like "W 37th Street", or "Highway 37".
I think you have to use the decimal format for lat/lon so divide the minutes by 60. This makes your coords 37.619,-122.021 (be sure to include the - or you'll end up in China).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by FzNk
sparky19461948 wrote:I have an iPhone7 with iOS 11.2.2 , I have have found NO WAY to enter GPs Coordinates as a destination, regardless of which format I use.Please help with this issue, I'm in desperately need. :idea:
Open search, type in the coordinates in decimal degrees format without the ° symbol (45.6,-123.4 for example), and hit 'Search'. It should show a result for the coordinates as "Received location".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by jlciii
I must be doing something wrong then -- I'm in the Geocaching app that I use and it shares coords in the following format "N 37° 37.143 W 122° 01.265" but when I type it, or any of the following variants into the "Search Destination" box, it searches for a place named "N 37 ....". Per recommendations above, I've also tried:
- N 37° 37.143 W 122° 01.265
- 37° 37.143 , 122° 01.265
- 37 37.143 , 122 01.265

In general, when it searches for any of these, it appears to be searching for a location with "37" in its name, like "W 37th Street", or "Highway 37".

Interesting note -- even when I type the Empire States Building "40 44.9154, -73 59.1396" text into the search field, it too produces the same results -- it searches for something with "40th" in the name, not the coords.

To do these searches, I'm clicking on he little Blue Wazer button in the lower left hand corner, and pasting the result into the Search field. Is there some other button that I should be typing into for coords?
jlciii
Send a message

Post by jlciii
I'm clearly doing something wrong -- i did exactly the Empire States Building example above, hit Blue Wazer Icon, type 40 44.9154, -73 59.1396 (no quotes or anything, just numbers with spaces, hyphens and commas), and while I'm typing it, before I hit submit, it's showing a magnifying glass icon with "More results for 40 44.9154, -73 59.1396" below, like it's trying to do a name search.

And when I hit Search, it comes back with NO SEARCH RESULTS FOUND.

There must be some option somewhere that I'm missing -- because this used to work for more several versions ago, but something changed....
jlciii
Send a message

Post by jlciii
Yes, I am an iPhone user -- not Android. And yes, I'm totally ignoring the list of options that it comes back with "More results for 40 44.9154, -73 59.1396", just hitting search button below. However, even if I click on either of them, still get NO SEARCH RESULTS FOUND.

Anyone else running iPhone getting different result?

This USED TO work for me -- and I used to use this feature a lot, but over the last month, it stopped working.
jlciii
Send a message

Post by RussPA
I have entered lat, lon coordinates many times in transferring places from my old GPS into Waze and I've never had an issue. You need to enter in this format: Lat, Lon. Do not use N or W or anything else. So for the Empire State Building, for example, you would search for "40.74859, -73.98566" or you could use "40 44.9154, -73 59.1396", either will work.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator