iOS Beta 3.1.99.23 Feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: iOS Beta 3.1.99.23 Feedback thread

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu May 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Dave2084 wrote:The inbox in My Waze shows you have -1 messages.

You must have pre-deleted. That means when the next msg comes in, it will be automatically deleted. Kind of like overpaying your utility bill. It automatically reduces next month's bill. :lol:
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:52 am

For the stop-point arrival, I find it ... confusing that as soon as I arrive at my stop point, Waze starts in with my next turn instruction for the remainder of the trip. If I've arrived, however, I would expect there to be some kind of a pause. Or an on-screen pop-up which pauses navigation instructions until I tap it so that I can, say, drive around the parking lot or wait to get through the drive-through without having to turn off Waze or manually Stop navigation.

After gas price entry, I feel it would be nice to have a timed auto-dismiss button. I rarely enter more than one gas price at a time, and would like to have to hit Send and then once sent, have a larger Close button below the message about getting 2 or 1 point, which is timed at 5 to 7 seconds. That way, I can get back to driving and Waze will get back to the navigation map without me having to press another button. If I do want to go Back to enter more prices, there is the Back button, and 5-7 seconds is plenty long to do that.

Question: What is the radius of search for gas station? If I sort by Brand, I see one station of that brand close by, but there is another about 20min away which typically has much lower prices, but that one doesn't appear in the category search.

Km instead of miles: when first started up, distance to search results is shown in Km even though prefs are set for miles. This seems to switch after a time:

km_not_miles.png
km_not_miles.png (95.61 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

Waze results for categories other than Gas contain little or no useful information and certainly no actual business or points of interests, so I believe for Category searches, Waze results should be hidden.

1 and 0 instead of ON and OFF: maybe it's just me, but using binary for ON and OFF probably isn't within iOS GUI design guidelines. I haven't seen any standard app use this. It could be confusing to many. I just don't like how it looks.

debug mode text doesn't show in the main menu in landscape.

Landscape mode report menu should be re-ordered with more important buttons on the first page: Traffic/Police/Accident, Hazard/Map Issue/Gas Prices. Camera and Chit Chat especially, need to be moved to a less visible place.

Landscape mode Map Issue text box gets 1/2 covered by the keyboard when trying to type. It's very hard to tell what you've entered. The "Map Issue" and "Pave" tabs should be made shorter (vertically) to give the text box more room.

Report menu disappearing bug still exists. When you have the report menu open to Page 2 in landscape mode then rotate to portrait, then menu blanks out/empties. This was reported in initial v3 betas and hasn't been fixed yet. A video was also previously made and posted in a feedback thread. Here it is again:

When the passenger and entering gas prices as we pass them, the map still sticks in place where the Report button was tapped. This is the same as reported with the previous beta. All other report types automatically get the map to display the current me-on-map position.

Other functionality is getting better. I've tested various scenarios and haven't found any glaring issues yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:11 am

Gas price mismatch between category results and Info tab of that station. For all grades, it appears, for my examples below, that this is a value truncation error as every price is off by only 1 cent (.01). (Screenshots of all prices are not included here for brevity.)

Check the price here for Regular at Fred Meyer (4.149) and Leathers (4.199):
price_mismatch_1.png
Category results list
price_mismatch_1.png (84.91 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

Then see the prices shown on each detail screen:
price_mismatch_fm.png
Fred Meyer Info details
price_mismatch_fm.png (69.23 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

price_mismatch_lthrs.png
Leathers Info details
price_mismatch_lthrs.png (64.57 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

I find the City name, then the address with City name again to be redundant. Also, the parentheses around the address I feel are unnecessary.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:04 pm

perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Km instead of miles: when first started up, distance to search results is shown in Km even though prefs are set for miles. This seems to switch after a time

Couldn't reproduce. Does it happen in all of the categories?

Unsure. I need to try to reproduce. I know it happened again today. The first gas station category results I received when leaving for work showed Km again.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Two items today. One bug, one big "yay!"

Event radius setting not being adhered to. Screenshot below shows an event 12.1 miles away and not within even 5 miles of my route. My event radius is set to 5 miles.
IMG_1743.PNG
IMG_1743.PNG (211.21 KiB) Viewed 616 times

For the really good news, I recorded a video, but the audio recording cuts out when Waze is playing turn instructions. So, I'll just have to tell you that Waze speaks the street names during loss of network connection. :D I'd like some confirmation from others on this. But so far, it spoke three names near the end of my route, some over 4 minutes after I turned off the data connection on my phone.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:16 am

gettingthere wrote:I am off network for a portion of my commute daily. I can't speak specifically to this Beta, but I did have experience with the previous Beta reverting to minimal TTS instructions. I would be surprised if this is different.

I believe that if your route recalculates without a network connection you will experience minimal TTS.

I had the client recalculate my route offline twice and it still stayed on full TTS. The first street name (after offline reroute) it spoke was not part of the original online route. The 2nd street name it spoke (after 2nd offline reroute) was not part of the original online route nor part of the 1st offline reroute.

If this isn't a fluke and the client now is able to speak the street names offline, this is a great a great enhancement/change to this feature.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Continued problems with proper volume setting display. Often, I will start up the app and speaker volume will be quite low, almost unable to hear it. Going in to the Sound settings shows both volume sliders at 100%. However, as soon as a sound plays for a turn or red light camera, the volume slider auto-adjusts to the real volume setting. After several seconds, or after closing the settings, the slider auto-adjusts back to 100%, even though the actual volume is still quite low.

This volume adjustment and settings must be more consistent. As it is, when a user cannot hear Waze or finds it very low, and they go into Sound settings, the sliders being at 100% is incorrect.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:16 pm

This is a general TTS/spoken instructions request to be more correct for English grammar and intent of the instruction:

Please change the prompts which say, "In <x distance>, get ready to <turn/stay>." to say "In <x distance>, be ready to <turn/stay>." For TTS, this change should be trivial. Pre-recorded voice work may take more time and effort, but please make this change for TTS on all platforms.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:14 pm

perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Continued problems with proper volume setting display. Often, I will start up the app and speaker volume will be quite low, almost unable to hear it. Going in to the Sound settings shows both volume sliders at 100%. However, as soon as a sound plays for a turn or red light camera, the volume slider auto-adjusts to the real volume setting. After several seconds, or after closing the settings, the slider auto-adjusts back to 100%, even though the actual volume is still quite low..

Does it happen while playing music in the bg?

No, I am usually not playing audio on my phone. This morning, I was awakened prior to my alarm clock by a meeting update notification which came out blaringly loud and clear. When I got in my car to leave and started up Waze, the device volume in Waze was set at around 10-20% and notifications were barely audible. I had to turn it up again.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:24 pm

This morning, I was on one of the 3 variations of route that Waze takes me on to work. To be clear: I was following the Waze navigation. On the way, I decided I needed to stop at the grocery store,so I added a stop point via favorites.

When Waze returned with navigation, it said, "Proceed to highlighted route" which I found strange, but not out of the ordinary. However, when I looked at the map more closely, Waze had started out my route to the stop point on a parallel road almost a 1/2 mile away from my current location.

Here is the screenshot after adding the stop point. The road my arrow is on is where the purple navigation line used to be. Logs were uploaded this morning at around 2:10PM GMT (7:10PM PDT).
Attachments
stop_point_route_started_far_away.png
stop_point_route_started_far_away.png (91.06 KiB) Viewed 589 times
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App