These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Direction keeps turning north, I think. Help!

Post by Didjit
To be honest, I'm not quite sure what is going on here...

The symptom is that Waze keeps thinking I've taken a detour when I haven't. The constant rerouting is annoying as heck. I turned on raw gps (search for "##@rawgps") and what I've noticed is that especially when I slow down or stop both the raw and "official" arrows seem to swing to the North (I apparently pulled a 180 at a stop light last night). It may also be that my GPS position is off as the arrows are sometimes to the side of the road.

My phone is a 2yr old Galaxy S5, which I've been using with Waze for the full 2 years, though it updated to Marshmallow a couple weeks ago. I recently did a factory reset, which was about when I first started noticing this problem. And I just did it again with no change. I've tried downloading GPS Status & Fix, which didn't help. And I'm also having trouble with my car's bluetooth constantly shutting off, so maybe my phone is just whacked.

Any ideas anyone? Is it Waze or my phone? Can I fix it or not?
Didjit

POSTER_ID:16965314

Send a message

Post by Didjit
Yes, @RussPA, I've calibrated the compass a number of times, same with the GPS. I've tripple checked permissions an GPS settings.

I've been learning that many people are having trouble with GPS and bluetooth since upgrading to Marshmallow. I'm going to see if I can downgrade back to Lollipop.
Didjit
Send a message

Post by Didjit
I was able to fix my problem by downgrading back to Lollipop from Marshmallow. This not only fixed my GPS but also my phone's ability to pair with my car.

And jsyk, the raw gps arrow still points north. I think what was happening was that since my position was off the road, when I approached an intersection my new location occasionally snapped to the side road instead of the one I was on. So it was the position being off, not the compass.
Didjit
Send a message

Post by RussPA
I have the same phone and I also have the raw gps arrow turned on and I also notice that every time I come to a stop, the yellow GPS arrow turns backwards. But the Waze arrow always stays pointing in the correct direction and I've not had rerouting issues like you mention. In GPS Status, have you gone through all the sensor diagnostics and did compass calibration (not sure that has anything to do with the issue, but it can't hurt)?
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator