These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Battery Consumption - Android Tablet

Post by Stevem0314
I have been able to keep my tablet on the charger while running Waze in my car and never had a problem with the battery draining. Now, within the last 6 months or so, when I use Waze my charger cant keep up. I'll eventually drain the battery on it. I have changed nothing, same charger and tablet.

Has anyone else noticed this and is there anything that can be done?
Stevem0314

POSTER_ID:17372722

Send a message

Post by BtBalways
Similar with me but I suspect it's related to screen brightness. Display is probably greatest consumer of power on my Nexus tablet, running with just voice prompts may make a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
BtBalways
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
Have you tried changing the charger out? Car chargers can go bad. I would start there first.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by karlcr9911
Sorry, that's all I got. I don't use Android at all or have a tablet for testing.
karlcr9911
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by NotontheT
I noticed since I updated the app a couple days ago, it's been eating battery like crazy when running, and when I put my phone on the charger, the battery stayed level when prior it would charge up very quickly. So I wonder if something has changed that would cause this. By "eating battery" I mean it drained 50% on a 35 minute drive.

Even with the screen on, I've never seen a battery drain like that on my Samsung S5. Waze is now that the top of my battery use stats, even above (though almost even with) screen with com.waze being the component draining the most, according to the breakdown I'm seeing using the 3C Toolbox app. That is with Waze running for 49 min total today since the last charge. Total screen on time since last charge is 2 hours, but screen still came in under Waze using less battery. GPS was on for 55 min and barely used anything.

I've never seen Waze use that much battery on my phone. Just before I updated the app I did a drive twice as long with maybe half as much drain, and the battery would still recharge steadily if the phone was plugged in. I'm pretty sure it's not my screen. On a non-driving day I'll have the screen on and actively using data through my commute, and I'm never as low at the end of my second commute from work as I was when I finished the one 35 minute drive yesterday, with 35% charge left. That's leaving the phone running on battery for at least 12 hours and crappy signal in the office eating away at the battery much of the day.

Interested to know if we're not the only ones experiencing this (my last update prior who knows when I don't update that often). I'm going to see if I can restore the previous version for comparison in case I am totally just inventing this problem in my head. :D
NotontheT
Send a message

Post by RonRover
I agree screen brightness most likely is the cause if you have ruled out the charger.
My phone sometimes goes to max brightness and the charger can hardly keep up. When I lower the screen brightness or even turn the screen off, charge is normal. Not sure why this changed, but that should correct it.
Good Luck!
Ron
RonRover
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Stevem0314
Tried 2 different chargers, no difference.
Stevem0314
Send a message