Disable POP-UPS while stopped

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby sdschramm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Whenever I am at a red light or stopped in traffic, Waze keeps popping up messages from all over the place. They are not helpful to me, they are distracting. Especially when it is reporting things 10+ miles away. (I'm in the city, so 10 miles is a long ways)

I looked though the menus and have tried disabling these screens but they are still appearing.

How can I stop these pop-ups?

Thanks,

Scott
sdschramm

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby Timbones » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 pm

In the General Settings, you can reduce the 'Event Radius' to 5 miles. This should reduce the number of popups you see.

Making this radius even smaller has been requested many times by users, but 5 miles (or 5 km) is the lowest available distance at the moment.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kruget » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:11 am

Please make the radius smaller, or restrict it only from the active route (and alternatives).
5 mile radius is still disturbing.
kruget

Postby sdschramm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Why can't I just DISABLE these distracting popups?!?!?!?
sdschramm

Postby Daknife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Because they can be quite useful, or you just look away from them. Some fine-tuning would be nice, limit them to events along the plotted route and primary alternates (in case Waze decides you need to change your route). But most of us just know to expect them and mentally tune them out.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby CBenson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

But we want to be able to see the map when we are stopped at an intersection or stopped in traffic. More than once I have missed a turn that waze wants me to take because I can't see the turn instruction. Coming up to an intersection waze will popup stating that a better route has been found. This popup has a very long time out (like 24 or 30 seconds) so you typically have to close it out manually to see the actual route. However, if you come to a stop at the intersection before you close out the reroute popup it gets covered with the series of popups regarding irrelevant reports (or at least not as relevant as the next turn instruction) that you can't close out fast enough to get back to the reroute popup to close it so you can actually see where you are being routed. If there is a red light camera at the intersection, or if you are stopped in traffic and waze pops up to question whether you are in traffic you have yet another popup to close before you can see the route.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:22 pm

There should be the option to disable these. There should also be the option to restrict to a smaller radius, and there should be the option to show only those on my route. Waze has stated more options are coming. Not sure when, though.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 am

TOtall agree. But there were hundreds of these requests.. and developers surprisingly keep ignoring this simple thing. Just put disable button.
ImageImageImage
Coordinator: Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Dave5150 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Adding my vote for this too. I love the daknife's response who said "look away" and that somehow a cop 5 miles off my route (5 miles is a long way) is somehow useful. Ha, good one. I would love to have them provide popups along my route, but outside of that, useless info.
Dave5150

Postby dirgela » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:18 pm

For me those reports are usually entertaining, not annoying. I like to see what is happening in the city around me, even if it is not related to my route. It is like listening news on radio about some massaker in a far away country (you don't really care about it, but keep listening the news out of curiosity). :evil: However in my city I don't usually get more than 10 reports and I totally agree that there should be a way to control it/switch it off. :idea:
However waze staff like serious issues more - for the last 8 months I hear that they concentrate on infrastructure (not very successfully since I saw the timeouts and trunkated routes again recently), so they are not even able to put a link from one "server" (NA) to the other (ROTW) on their website to help users find their maps and points, not to speak about some changes in the client (although some long awaited changes are promised in the new version, which is beta-tested now) :geek:
iPhone 4S
dirgela

Next

Return to Waze App