These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Mike-1323
BlazeTool wrote:Has anyone tried tweaking the preferences file and setting the Alert Distance to 0,1, or -1? Or doing something else similar?

The seemingly pertinent lines

Code: Select all

Alerts.Alert Distance: 600
Alerts.Police Alert Distace: 600
Alerts.Hazard Alert Distace: 600
Alerts.Accident Alert Distace: 2000
Alerts.Heavy Traffic Alert Distace: 3000
Unfortunately, I am unable to test it myself today.
I believe those are the distances for the pop-ups while driving. I mean, if you're driving down a road and a hazard has been reported ahead, then when you're 600m away the little box will pop up and the voice will say 'hazard reported ahead' (or something similar).
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by Mike-1323
jasonh300 wrote:I tried what the FAQ suggested and haven't noticed any other ill effects like lack of traffic avoidance. It was pretty seamless, other than that I don't get those annoying popups anymore.
Do you still have real-time traffic conditions and user reports showing up? I though that the FAQ solution eliminated those as well.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by mwburn
I live in a fairly "sparse" waze area (I rarely see any other wazers on the map), and today for the first time in 6 months, I got a popup while stopped and it was for an incident 30 miles away and in the opposite direction I was heading (my radius setting is 5 miles).

I concur.
mwburn
Send a message
I'd be ranked higher if I drove more than 5 miles to work. :-(
But I only have to drive 5 miles to work. :-)

https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/6/69/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by Nocty
I am starting to see pop ups (when before I wasn't) for items >50km away in the opposite direction, not even close to an area that I've driven in (with or without Waze). I have checked the appropriate settings (as mentioned here and in the FAQ) and cannot see why it has changed after a month or so of no problems.
Nocty
Send a message

Post by Olestas
TOtall agree. But there were hundreds of these requests.. and developers surprisingly keep ignoring this simple thing. Just put disable button.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
It seems I have found how to disable all notifications at all - menu/settings/advanced/data transfer/download traffic info - remove tick. Thats all. I did not receive any data. Routes work, but nothin else is displayed. Nothing at all. A little bit empty, but if someone really wants to disable everything :D
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
In which FAQ?
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Well, now if you select popups only on your route, they are shown much less.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Oh so thats what happened. Too bad waze does not put those texts in some common place, so we can see whats happening... we can not search thousands of topics and find what did they write...
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ottonomy
In crowded metropolitan areas, such as my native downtown Los Angeles, a 5 mile radius may contain dozens of relatively fresh alerts at a given moment during rush hour. I do find local alerts to be helpful and/or interesting at times, but as others in this thread have commented, they can be both distracting and frustrating when they begin popping up in rapid succession at every stop.

The fleeting moments when I am stopped in traffic or waiting for lights to change are the times when I am most often taking the opportunity to fiddle with the map view and get my bearings or pan around, and see if I agree with the route that Waze has chosen for me. Pop-ups on these occasions are irritating, and I'm among those who would like the option to switch them off entirely. In my case, I'd prefer that it not be buried too far in the settings, because I'd like to be able to turn such alerts on and off at my whim, but wherever and however, it's apparent that this is something wanted by a substantial number of Waze users. Either a much smaller radius option, an en-route only option, or a way to shut them completely off (better yet, all of the above choices).
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California