Disable POP-UPS while stopped

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:52 pm

Pop-ups should no longer (again) be showing unrelated data.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby BlazeTool » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:26 pm

Has anyone tried tweaking the preferences file and setting the Alert Distance to 0,1, or -1? Or doing something else similar?

The seemingly pertinent lines

Code: Select all
Alerts.Alert Distance: 600
Alerts.Police Alert Distace: 600
Alerts.Hazard Alert Distace: 600
Alerts.Accident Alert Distace: 2000
Alerts.Heavy Traffic Alert Distace: 3000

Unfortunately, I am unable to test it myself today.
BlazeTool

Postby CBenson » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

But we want to be able to see the map when we are stopped at an intersection or stopped in traffic. More than once I have missed a turn that waze wants me to take because I can't see the turn instruction. Coming up to an intersection waze will popup stating that a better route has been found. This popup has a very long time out (like 24 or 30 seconds) so you typically have to close it out manually to see the actual route. However, if you come to a stop at the intersection before you close out the reroute popup it gets covered with the series of popups regarding irrelevant reports (or at least not as relevant as the next turn instruction) that you can't close out fast enough to get back to the reroute popup to close it so you can actually see where you are being routed. If there is a red light camera at the intersection, or if you are stopped in traffic and waze pops up to question whether you are in traffic you have yet another popup to close before you can see the route.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Where has waze said they only provide "on route only" popups? I had thought what they said was that you could select "on route only" or essentially "other" which would provide events within a radius of 5-10km. That is that the radius choices of 5, 25, 50, 100, 200 miles and All would all behave the same. But I thought waze was asserting that "on route only" would provide different popups from selecting any of these other options.

That being said I have only noticed popups for events on my route since installing 3.6.0.0. and I have not changed the Event Radius from its default setting of "All" since installing this Play store version. So I believe that you are correct - I have just missed waze's announcements on this issue.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby chunkmonkey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 pm

This is very distracting, I like leaving my alerts to a fair distance, but i really only want to see them if they are on my planned route. I don't even mind if its 50 miles away as long as its on my route, but I really don't want to have to be reaching for my phone to close items that have no bearing on my set course every time I stop.
chunkmonkey

Postby daknife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Because they can be quite useful, or you just look away from them. Some fine-tuning would be nice, limit them to events along the plotted route and primary alternates (in case Waze decides you need to change your route). But most of us just know to expect them and mentally tune them out.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby daknife » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 am

Well you can just turn them off entirely. But if you do want some relevant ones you are correct that better control and specificity is needed. And I still see the occasional pop-up as I'm cruising down a road at speed. No pop-up (other than the standard police or hazard ones) should pop up while I'm moving.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby danofsatx » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm

I noticed the same thing, this morning. I was 1.2 miles from my set destination (work), yet the pop ups were for incidents clear on the other side of town, one 16 miles away! If I'm closer to my destination than the report, which isn't even on the route to my destination, then why is it being displayed?
The Wazer previously known as Dan_in_TX.

L3 Area Manager: Lufkin TXDOT District
L3 Area Manager: Upper Ohio River Valley

ImageImage
danofsatx

Postby danofsatx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:32 pm

I noticed this morning that the address was less than specific. I had a pop-up warning of debris on the road on I-10 E. I-10 E is a fairly long road - in fact, if I'm not mistaken it runs from Jacksonville, FL to Los Angeles, CA.
The Wazer previously known as Dan_in_TX.

L3 Area Manager: Lufkin TXDOT District
L3 Area Manager: Upper Ohio River Valley

ImageImage
danofsatx

Postby Dave5150 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Adding my vote for this too. I love the daknife's response who said "look away" and that somehow a cop 5 miles off my route (5 miles is a long way) is somehow useful. Ha, good one. I would love to have them provide popups along my route, but outside of that, useless info.
Dave5150

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App