Disable POP-UPS while stopped

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby sdschramm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:38 pm

I originally thought this is the setting I've been looking for...but nope, it has no effect.

sdschramm

Postby sdschramm » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:16 pm

And here is yet another reason why I don't want these popups...

sdschramm

Postby sdschramm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:26 am

Any updates on this?
sdschramm

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 am

sdschramm wrote:Any updates on this?

If you're expecting some kind of answer from Waze any time soon, you're going to be disappointed. This feature request has been out there for over a year and it hasn't happened yet. You can try twitter or Facebook and you'll likely get the "we're looking into it for a future release" type of message.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby miguelmorales85 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:22 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There should be the option to disable these. There should also be the option to restrict to a smaller radius, and there should be the option to show only those on my route.

THIS!! :evil:

..please :roll:
miguelmorales85

Postby Olestas » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm

It seems I have found how to disable all notifications at all - menu/settings/advanced/data transfer/download traffic info - remove tick. Thats all. I did not receive any data. Routes work, but nothin else is displayed. Nothing at all. A little bit empty, but if someone really wants to disable everything :D
ImageImageImage
Coordinator: Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby dsaunder » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Seconding (or thirding...) request to disable event notification when vehicle stops. It is the single behavior that prevents me from using Waze as a navigation aide.
...and thanks, but no: disabling download of all information defeats the purpose of Waze, altogether -- I want the data -- but only the data that's relevant to my immediate location or route. I do not want the map to move away from my immediate location!
dsaunder

Postby j2brown » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:39 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There should be the option to disable these. There should also be the option to restrict to a smaller radius, and there should be the option to show only those on my route. Waze has stated more options are coming. Not sure when, though.

I agree with this, and will add one more half-baked idea:

Let's weight events for time as well. I don't care about something that happened 1 block away 1 hour ago as much as I care about something that happened 10 blocks away (especially on my route) 1 minute ago. My from the hip shot at this is to assign points to an event, 1 min or 1 mile = 1 point. Show me events with <10 points. You could also add or subtract points based on whether or not it's on your route.

jeff
sdg
Area manager for Sterling, VA
Maintainer of Unofficial advice for editors and frequent UR responses
j2brown
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby chunkmonkey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:57 pm

This is very distracting, I like leaving my alerts to a fair distance, but i really only want to see them if they are on my planned route. I don't even mind if its 50 miles away as long as its on my route, but I really don't want to have to be reaching for my phone to close items that have no bearing on my set course every time I stop.
chunkmonkey

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:01 pm

This "feature" has to be given a kill switch ASAP. On the way home tonight I got caught up in traffic that wasn't yet shown on the map, and so whilst at a standstill I thought I'd manually check for an alternate route, knowing that Waze itself wouldn't give me one until it became aware of the traffic ahead of me. I started to pan around the map, but within seconds it relocated itself to show me the position of a traffic report several miles away. I hit the crosshairs and started panning again, only to be yanked away by another report Waze thought I'd be more interested in knowing about. This continued for about 30 seconds before I got utterly fed up with this damn stupid behaviour and just resigned myself to sitting through the jam. If the user has manually repositioned the map, the client should NOT be overriding the position until the user has tapped the crosshairs to restore the default position again.

Between this badly thought-out feature, and the cutesy UI tweaks which might look so cool when demoing Waze to your friends whilst sat at your desk/around the coffee table/anywhere other than behind the wheel, but which make the client just that tiny bit slower and more difficult to use than before whilst driving, not to mention the collection of annoyances from previous versions no-one at Waze seems to have any interest in fixing, i'm beginning to wonder just how much time any of the developers spend using the client in real world situations. Because whilst previous versions were at least useable most of the time, 3.5 manages to be an exercise in frustration with pretty much every single drive.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
Waze App 3.9.9.0, not about to switch to 4.x any time soon...
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App