Disable POP-UPS while stopped

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Today, for the first time in many months, I received MANY, way more than four, pop-ups while stopped. And they were nowhere near my route, though I was in nav mode. Changing the Event Radius made no difference.

I appears that someone screwed up some code again.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:30 am

Oh so thats what happened. Too bad waze does not put those texts in some common place, so we can see whats happening... we can not search thousands of topics and find what did they write...
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm

CBenson wrote:Where has waze said they only provide "on route only" popups?

Actually, I'm incorrect, but not by much. You are, I believe, more correct. viewtopic.php?p=358338#p358338
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Where has waze said they only provide "on route only" popups? I had thought what they said was that you could select "on route only" or essentially "other" which would provide events within a radius of 5-10km. That is that the radius choices of 5, 25, 50, 100, 200 miles and All would all behave the same. But I thought waze was asserting that "on route only" would provide different popups from selecting any of these other options.

That being said I have only noticed popups for events on my route since installing 3.6.0.0. and I have not changed the Event Radius from its default setting of "All" since installing this Play store version. So I believe that you are correct - I have just missed waze's announcements on this issue.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am

Well, now if you select popups only on your route, they are shown much less.
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:15 pm

yurx wrote:Those who keep quoting Wiki are missing the point. ;) I am pretty sure everyone now know how to disable pop-ups which involves the undesirable side-effects. This request is to allow disable pop-ups and still have speed data. WiKi says it is not possible as of now and the community understands that, but the request is to make it possible. That's the point. ;)

No one is saying otherwise. The FAQ explicitly states it is a workaround with side-effects.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dadudaa » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Those who keep quoting Wiki are missing the point. ;) I am pretty sure everyone now know how to disable pop-ups which involves the undesirable side-effects. This request is to allow disable pop-ups and still have speed data. WiKi says it is not possible as of now and the community understands that, but the request is to make it possible. That's the point. ;)
dadudaa

Postby tomzuu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:18 am

Also it looks like setting Min speed Knots from "3" to "-1", disables popups.
I think This can easily be made as a switch in GUI, right?

For those who wonder where the preferences file is, it's on internal SD card (my case)
/waze/preferences and can be edited either with some File manager or when accessing files via PC.

Code: Select all
Popups.Min speed Knots: -1

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
tomzuu wrote:Okey, I can understand, why jasonh didn't give a direct link to #15, he's on iphone, but AlanOfTheBerg?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... _moving.3F

Another thing is why can't it be made turned off like it is for Group pop-ups? But instead you have to disable traffic information at all.

This is just one of dozens of threads about the same issue. The direct link has been posted before, many times. And I tire of posting it repeatedly, especially that day.

Why can't you disable it like group popups? Because that setting is not available to us. Pretty simple. Yes, you have to turn of visual traffic data, but the routing servers still can reroute you due to traffic jams/accidents. You just don't get the alerts.
tomzuu

Postby tomzuu » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:00 am

Then I believe, this is Waze's "feature" for Android (maybe applications can't read battery status on iOs). There are these settings in preferences files..
Code: Select all
Battery.Threshold 1: 30
Battery.Threshold 2: 10
Battery.CheckPeriod: 30000

... and that's exactly when pop-up shows up... in addition the first time popup shows up it counts seconds to automatically "close popup", when second threshold is met, the default action is "close Waze".

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
tomzuu wrote:Although battery checker needs an option to be disabled. I'm clearly see my battery meter all the time while Waze is running, I don't need a notification pop-up about 30%...

Is this a "feature" of Android? Because on iOS we only have the OS-based notification and that has nothing to with Waze.
tomzuu

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:56 pm

dirgela wrote:Sorry, but it is clear from the FAQ that these annoying popups can't be turned off, there is only a workaround provided, which turns off all traffic data. Since that is unbelievable annoyance, people will ask this question again and again. Sadly there are pretty many annoyances like that with waze, so if you have no patience to answer the same questions you can always ignore them :)

Absolutely agree. But it is perfectly acceptable to reply with "read the FAQ" because that's what any reasonable person should be doing anyway.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App