Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by Dave5150
Adding my vote for this too. I love the daknife's response who said "look away" and that somehow a cop 5 miles off my route (5 miles is a long way) is somehow useful. Ha, good one. I would love to have them provide popups along my route, but outside of that, useless info.
Dave5150
Send a message

Post by dirgela
For me those reports are usually entertaining, not annoying. I like to see what is happening in the city around me, even if it is not related to my route. It is like listening news on radio about some massaker in a far away country (you don't really care about it, but keep listening the news out of curiosity). :evil: However in my city I don't usually get more than 10 reports and I totally agree that there should be a way to control it/switch it off. :idea:
However waze staff like serious issues more - for the last 8 months I hear that they concentrate on infrastructure (not very successfully since I saw the timeouts and trunkated routes again recently), so they are not even able to put a link from one "server" (NA) to the other (ROTW) on their website to help users find their maps and points, not to speak about some changes in the client (although some long awaited changes are promised in the new version, which is beta-tested now) :geek:
dirgela
Send a message
iPhone 4S

Post by dirgela
This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)
dirgela
Send a message
iPhone 4S

Post by dirgela
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dirgela wrote:This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)
The FAQ is pretty clear that it can be turned off. With a FAQ entry, instead of retyping the same answer 1000 times per month, I simply get to write, "read the FAQ" (with link).
Sorry, but it is clear from the FAQ that these annoying popups can't be turned off, there is only a workaround provided, which turns off all traffic data. Since that is unbelievable annoyance, people will ask this question again and again. Sadly there are pretty many annoyances like that with waze, so if you have no patience to answer the same questions you can always ignore them :)
dirgela
Send a message
iPhone 4S

Post by dsaunder
Seconding (or thirding...) request to disable event notification when vehicle stops. It is the single behavior that prevents me from using Waze as a navigation aide.
...and thanks, but no: disabling download of all information defeats the purpose of Waze, altogether -- I want the data -- but only the data that's relevant to my immediate location or route. I do not want the map to move away from my immediate location!
dsaunder
Send a message

Post by dsaunder
In violent agreement w/ottonomy for all reasons stated!

How can i get Waze to stop showing local events when my vehicle stops?!?!?
It's very distracting! When I stop at a traffic light or pause in traffic, I want to see where I am, where I'm going and what's directly ahead. I don't care that there's a slowdown on a nearby road that I'm not even going to be driving on!! :x

Please, Waze, stop the insanity!
dsaunder
Send a message

Post by fabryx73
Also for me, from yesterday, I'm receiving popups from outside my planned route.
My settings are:
- No group popups
- Notification only on route
Anyway, having popups that doesn't show the warning point on the map is very useless. I have to read the address of the event in order to understand if it is interesting or not. Months ago, when Waze was better, popups were on the right place on the map.
I't is also courious that all popups notifications follows a marketing popup.
Very disappointed with all this!
(But I'm still disappointed also for the bad, useless and wrong explanations that Perlin gave me about the popup reports some time ago :evil: :evil: :evil: )
fabryx73
Send a message

Post by fabryx73
Perlin, why you don't reply to us with one of your best learned lessons?
fabryx73
Send a message

Post by fullrulle
BlazeTool wrote:Has anyone tried tweaking the preferences file and setting the Alert Distance to 0,1, or -1? Or doing something else similar?

The seemingly pertinent lines

Code: Select all

Alerts.Alert Distance: 600
Alerts.Police Alert Distace: 600
Alerts.Hazard Alert Distace: 600
Alerts.Accident Alert Distace: 2000
Alerts.Heavy Traffic Alert Distace: 3000
Unfortunately, I am unable to test it myself today.
Change this line in the preference file to remove the pop-ups while stopped:

Code: Select all

Popups.Min speed Knots: -1
fullrulle
Send a message

Post by j2brown
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:There should be the option to disable these. There should also be the option to restrict to a smaller radius, and there should be the option to show only those on my route. Waze has stated more options are coming. Not sure when, though.
I agree with this, and will add one more half-baked idea:

Let's weight events for time as well. I don't care about something that happened 1 block away 1 hour ago as much as I care about something that happened 10 blocks away (especially on my route) 1 minute ago. My from the hip shot at this is to assign points to an event, 1 min or 1 mile = 1 point. Show me events with <10 points. You could also add or subtract points based on whether or not it's on your route.

jeff
sdg
j2brown
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Area manager for Sterling, VA
OG Wazer, trying to keep up.