Disable POP-UPS while stopped

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby Olestas » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:02 pm

In which FAQ?
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators
 
Posts: 4827
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Location: Latvia
Has thanked: 1793 times
Been thanked: 1389 times

Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm

olestas wrote:In which FAQ?


The one at www.Waze.com/wiki

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to it.

Once you get into the FAQ, look at item #15.


Via my iPhone 3GS.
Image
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 967 times

Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby dirgela » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:53 pm

This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)
*-*-*-*-*-*
iPhone 4S
dirgela
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:32 pm

dirgela wrote:This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)

The FAQ is pretty clear that it can be turned off. With a FAQ entry, instead of retyping the same answer 1000 times per month, I simply get to write, "read the FAQ" (with link).
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dirgela wrote:This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)

The FAQ is pretty clear that it can be turned off. With a FAQ entry, instead of retyping the same answer 1000 times per month, I simply get to write, "read the FAQ" (with link).


I tried what the FAQ suggested and haven't noticed any other ill effects like lack of traffic avoidance. It was pretty seamless, other than that I don't get those annoying popups anymore.
Image
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 967 times

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby Mike-1323 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 pm

jasonh300 wrote:I tried what the FAQ suggested and haven't noticed any other ill effects like lack of traffic avoidance. It was pretty seamless, other than that I don't get those annoying popups anymore.

Do you still have real-time traffic conditions and user reports showing up? I though that the FAQ solution eliminated those as well.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm
Location: Lorton, Va
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 186 times

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby jasonh300 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Mike-1323 wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:I tried what the FAQ suggested and haven't noticed any other ill effects like lack of traffic avoidance. It was pretty seamless, other than that I don't get those annoying popups anymore.

Do you still have real-time traffic conditions and user reports showing up? I though that the FAQ solution eliminated those as well.


It eliminates the popups, but the routing server still gives me routing based on where the traffic is (or isn't). I don't see roads turning yellow and red anymore, but that doesn't matter to me because I let navigation handle it. I don't go looking for red roads to plan my route around. If I need to do that for any reason, I can always turn it back on.

I'm looking now and I can't see any of the user reported traffic alerts bubbles, accidents, etc on the map.

When I click Menu > Reports, I get a 0.

Now that I'm looking at all this, it's fine for my day to day usage because I don't normally have to do any long trips in heavy traffic, but if I did, I'd have to turn this option back on so I could get some idea of what's going on.
Image
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 7561
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:26 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 967 times

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby tomzuu » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Okey, I can understand, why jasonh didn't give a direct link to #15, he's on iphone, but AlanOfTheBerg?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... _moving.3F

Another thing is why can't it be made turned off like it is for Group pop-ups? But instead you have to disable traffic information at all.

Maybe you can add another answer to that question like "To turn off these popups, you need to turn off the "WAZE""

And maybe I'm just another who is totally pissed of by pop-ups, but I completely agree to dsaunder, that when I'm driving "I want to see where I am, where I'm going and what's directly ahead".. or maybe "I can turn earlier, but.. I don't see what's the street name"

A red and orange colored nearby streets on the screen while driving gives enough information about traffic on them, I don't need a pop-up for that.

Although battery checker needs an option to be disabled. I'm clearly see my battery meter all the time while Waze is running, I don't need a notification pop-up about 30%...



jasonh300 wrote:
olestas wrote:In which FAQ?


The one at http://www.Waze.com/wiki

Scroll down a bit and you'll see a link to it.

Once you get into the FAQ, look at item #15.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
tomzuu
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

tomzuu wrote:Okey, I can understand, why jasonh didn't give a direct link to #15, he's on iphone, but AlanOfTheBerg?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ# ... _moving.3F

Another thing is why can't it be made turned off like it is for Group pop-ups? But instead you have to disable traffic information at all.

This is just one of dozens of threads about the same issue. The direct link has been posted before, many times. And I tire of posting it repeatedly, especially that day.

Why can't you disable it like group popups? Because that setting is not available to us. Pretty simple. Yes, you have to turn of visual traffic data, but the routing servers still can reroute you due to traffic jams/accidents. You just don't get the alerts.

tomzuu wrote:A red and orange colored nearby streets on the screen while driving gives enough information about traffic on them, I don't need a pop-up for that

I don't really even need the colors. I let Waze handle the routing on the back-end.

tomzuu wrote:Although battery checker needs an option to be disabled. I'm clearly see my battery meter all the time while Waze is running, I don't need a notification pop-up about 30%...

Is this a "feature" of Android? Because on iOS we only have the OS-based notification and that has nothing to with Waze.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 23478
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: US Country Manager - Oregon, USA
Has thanked: 1084 times
Been thanked: 4596 times

Disable POP-UPS while stopped

Postby dirgela » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:53 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
dirgela wrote:This feature is so annoying that people will ask it all the time, no FAQs will help, because even after they will read the FAQ they will still not believe this can't be turned off and will ask here if the FAQ is correct :)

The FAQ is pretty clear that it can be turned off. With a FAQ entry, instead of retyping the same answer 1000 times per month, I simply get to write, "read the FAQ" (with link).

Sorry, but it is clear from the FAQ that these annoying popups can't be turned off, there is only a workaround provided, which turns off all traffic data. Since that is unbelievable annoyance, people will ask this question again and again. Sadly there are pretty many annoyances like that with waze, so if you have no patience to answer the same questions you can always ignore them :)
*-*-*-*-*-*
iPhone 4S
dirgela
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot]