Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Popover Ads for sending ETA/Rate this app spam.

Post by nauip
Please stop it. Particularly when I'm driving.
nauip

POSTER_ID:17052299

Send a message
Last edited by nauip on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by BtBalways
I thought the benefits of Waze are only fully used it was opened before you start driving so that your progress contributes to the overall traffic information. Opening in the middle of a journey, particularly at a stop light, would surely imply that it could be a parking lot or other stopping place, hardly a desired conclusion.

Roy
BtBalways
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by callumjp
I think context is key with pop ups like this. They shouldn't appear whilst the car is in motion, much like Waze prevents you from typing a destination if it knows the car is moving.
The pop ups that ask you to rate Waze would be better displayed right when you open the app or exit a map - not whilst navigation is taking place.

I understand that Waze want to upsell certain features but yes - at the moment they can appear at deeply irritating times.

Let's also be clear - this stuff should not be classed as spam or advertising - because it isn't.

There are other types of adverts in Waze and those are what should be referred to as ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
callumjp
Send a message

Post by callumjp
vince1612 wrote:The answer you got about this in November 2016 is still valid. There is nothing else that people on this Community forum can do for you about this issue. We're not devs and can't change the app.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=207446#p1536352
Don't Waze collect messages on these forums as user feedback? That seems very odd and a missed opportunity if not. The 'answer' in Nov 2016 might be valid, but so are the other comments. Anyone providing a digital service should at least be recording comments from users, no matter where they're left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
callumjp
Send a message

Post by helifino206
Those boxes are a one-time thing. They disappear permanently (for that device) once the blue button is pressed. Just hit the Blue Button, then hit back.
helifino206
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by nauip
Oh, hey, you know what users REALLY LOVE?! POP-UP ADS!
And I'm not talking about the ones you have for sponsors or whatever. I know you have to pay the bills. And they only pop up at red lights. That's fine. The one's that pop over *while I'm driving* and encourage me to use some silly feature by obscuring my map.
The first time I thought it was a fluke. It happened a second time so I have to think that someone thought it would be a good idea to encourage me to use the app while driving.
nauip
Send a message

Post by nauip
2016-10-11 15.36.55.png
Who needs to see maps in a map app?
(93.4 KiB) Downloaded 2185 times
I didn't get a chance to screenshot the other one recommending I send my ETA to someone, but yeah. Send an ETA to someone is the other one I've seen.
nauip
Send a message

Post by nauip
2016-10-28 16.03.33.png
(85.63 KiB) Downloaded 2153 times
Let's hope I didn't need that map to make a turn to get to that meeting on time.
nauip
Send a message

Post by nauip
I'd like to say I rarely open Waze whilst the car is in motion, but I believe the instances that these events occurred I did. Amusingly, I don't ever recall this spam coming up when I open the app while I'm still parked, but if they did, they would likely cause far less annoyance than when I'm flying down the road and want to tap-tap-Home and get an ETA.
A simple check "if speed=0 then annoy user with pop-over ad, else don't distract the fool any more than necessary."
nauip
Send a message

Post by nauip
It happened again. A bunch of traffic at a stop sign. I open up Waze. A few more cars pass, I see my opening! Zoom!

Cruisin' down the road a minute and Bam!
2016-12-20 10.36.32.png
(104.16 KiB) Downloaded 1121 times
nauip
Send a message