These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

police car tracking

Post by
Hi all! One idea for discussion and maybe for implementation too. If waser meets police car it is not lucky day always. So my idea is to give more information for all wasers in situation were user meets police car. I´ll describe 2 conditions.
1. Meet police car ahead of wasers car. Option to report "I´m fallowing police car"! This is huge impact to other wasers behind reporter (DO NOT TRY BYPASS POLICE!) and wasers who will be on front of police car (YOU WILL MEET POLICE CAR SOON!)
2. Meet police car on front of waser. In this case we need to report - police car driving on opposite way and I think it is useful to remind wasers between reporting point to next intersection that very angry police car is comeing. :)

POSTER_ID:16965399

Send a message

Post by dknight212
jasonh300 wrote:It would be much simpler to not break the law. What exactly is it you're doing that you're this concerned about the cops?
+1

David using Tapatalk
dknight212
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Maybe a third option for "I've been pulled over for tailing a police car"?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Slow down, there a cop in front, I've got pot in my pocket...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
How do old threads keep being pulled up? :-S

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gordonski
Why should it be a crime to drive behind a police car??? If their position was secret, they shouldn't paint them in fancy silver and blue with flashlights on top.
Maybe we could get the police to use Waze, then we could also see moving police cars. I don't see any other chance to track police cars on the move. Unless someone volunteers to tape a magent to his smartphone and secretly tuck it to the rear bumber of a police car...
Over here policecars don't do any harm, they just drive around like other cars. German cops usually don't stop you without any reason. If they do, and you didn't do anything wrong (e.g. speeding, holding a phone, no seatbelt, ...), they check your papers, wish you a nice day, and off you go.
If you go by a police car, driving well above speed limit, well, take it like a man and deal with the consequences of your actions... :roll:
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by gordonski
xteejx wrote:How do old threads keep being pulled up? :-S

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
That happens when people keep posting replies... :? ... D'oh! :x
gordonski
Send a message
No stop signs, speed limitdownload/file.php?id=44782Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte

Post by harling
xteejx wrote:Maybe a third option for "I've been pulled over for tailing a police car"?
Excellent.

I can understand the desire to report a "speed trap"; in some cases the underlying goal may be the generation of revenue rather than safety. But tracking a police vehicle that is doing who-knows-what could easily be construed as interfering with law enforcement, at the very least. You may become a distraction to the police, tip off criminals, find yourself in the middle of gunfire...

Bottom line: leave moving police vehicles alone. They are keeping you safe, and you need to get out of their way and let them do their job--unencumbered by live GPS tracking on a public system that anyone can use!
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
The objection against tracking police cars is the potential to use such a tool for evasion, of scrutiny and/or pursuit.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by jasonh300
It would be much simpler to not break the law. What exactly is it you're doing that you're this concerned about the cops?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MrFoosh
This has already been discussed in a lot of other forums. While I agree it would be cool to tag a moving target like this, there is a privacy issue with doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure that harling has a point, following around police vehicles (or tracking them by GPS) is interfering with law enforcement.

Just drive safely and the police shouldn't be an issue for ya. ;)
MrFoosh
Send a message