These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

2015+ Subaru HU - Waze Speed Freezes

Post by CoreyT8
I've been having an issue with Waze ever since I traded in my 2013 Outback. The new head unit in my 2016 Subaru Forrester when connected via the port so you can use the pandora app on the radio feature we see the speed freeze from when the cable is connected. This causes Waze to think were going 0Mph if we connected while parking or not detecting we have come to a standstill in traffic if we connected the cable while driving.

Occasionally on long drives 45 minutes or longer the speed will start working.

Everything works fine if we just use a normal charger with the lighter port adapter.
CoreyT8

POSTER_ID:17402661

Send a message

Post by jortron
I'm finally glad I'm seeing I'm not the only one with this issue. In my 2016 Outback, I do not get any speedometer while plugged into the USB. Works fine otherwise.
jortron
Send a message

Post by smeds128
Ditto here on my 2015 Outback. Works fine when plugged into lighter, but with USB the speedometer is stuck at 0, which causes Waze to zoom in to max. Would prefer USB connection but the zoomed in view is useless.
smeds128
Send a message

Post by ssiegalWZ
Thank you TNT1001 for the great research and pointing out the solution on the Subaru website. The current link for that article is http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138 ... ost4669642.

Subaru makes a great car but their navigation/audio system leaves a lot to be desired.
ssiegalWZ
Send a message

Post by TNT1001
I have (now _had_!) the same problem. Here is a link to a video I created today about it...

I hope you find it helpful.

Below is the textual summary I included with my video...

In March 2017 I began experiencing an intermittent problem with Waze. It wasn't reliably displaying speed. It would track where I was just fine, but sometimes the speed would indicate 0, and other times it would display a speed while I was sitting still. Here are two examples that I documented...

The problem *seemed* to be coincidental with a major update to Waze, so that was my first thought. But as you'll ascertain from my experience, one must always be aware that correlation does not mean causation.

I shared my problem with a fellow Waze Editor, and he elevated the issue. But nothing came from that.

I finally got more time, and was able to begin to investigate a bit more. I downloaded an app called Speedometer, so that I could compare "speed" results. What I observed was that when Waze was not displaying speed accurately, Speedometer would be blank. At least, at this point, I was determining that it probably wasn't either app, but something to do with the iPhone.

I contacted the app developer of Speedometer, and he helped me to understand that if my iPhone's GPS isn't outputting speed, his app interprets that as "invalid" and its display of speed will be blank. He referred me to another app called "GPS Status." It was also helpful, in that when Waze wasn't displaying speed correctly, and Speedometer was blank, GPS Status was indicating Speed = Invalid. Again, it was helpful to see that I had agreement, with regard to speed, amongst these three apps.

I consulted Apple Support via a Live Chat, where they attempted to run a diagnostic, but they were unable to determine anything. Live Chat did, however, schedule me for a visit with an Apple Genius. Strangely though, after the attempted remote diagnostic, and on the way to and from the Apple Store, Waze performed flawlessly. I couldn't help but wonder if the mere running of the diagnostic cleared something up. But as mentioned previously, always be aware that correlation does not mean causation.

The Apple Genius ran a diagnostic, and said all was well with my iPhone 7. I wasn't convinced of that, but I was not able to demonstrate the problem by using any Apple App...and the technician was quick to emphasize that Apple could not be responsible for third-party apps and how those apps determine speed.

I continued my exploration into this anomaly, and came across another app, called "GPS Diagnostic." It has further added to my understanding. It provides more robust info than the “GPS Status" app.

What I really like about the “GPS Diagnostic” app is that it tells me the _source_ of the signal from which the iPhone is determining its location. It will indicate one of three statuses with regard to the source of location info:

1) Searching
2) Cellular / Wi-Fi / Bluetooth
3) GPS

What I learned from this is that when I was experiencing an incorrect speed on Waze (and blank speed on Speedometer, and "invalid" speed on GPS Status), my iPhone 7 was NOT receiving satellite data!!! It turns out that all along when Waze was not displaying speed correctly, the iPhone had been determining my location via Cellular! This fact was monumental to my understanding.

At this point, I began to see this as some sort of interference problem. I had learned early on that the navigation satellite signals are very weak, thus, electrical noise (Radio Frequency Interference, aka RFI), from other devices, or possibly a running engine, could possibly cause interference and overwhelm a receiver. However, my first test of this was another eye opening experience. Take a look at this video...

Wow...I learned that the mere fact of plugging the iPhone into my car's USB port, was resulting in loss of satellite signals!

This morning I came across a fix for this!!! Read this post in a Subaru Outback forum, entitled "ACTUAL Fix for iPhone 6s GPS erratic behavior"...

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums#/topics/407266

I tried this out this morning, and it works! That is what this video attempts to demonstrate. Many thanks to Subaru Outback forum member Washubi for posting what he discovered!

One of the morals to this story is to not make assumptions, and to be sure to consider other factors. For instance, my trip to the Apple Store, when everything worked just fine, to and from, was not in our new 2017 Subaru Outback, but rather in my 2005 Prius. Also, what changed in March 2017 was not just a major Waze update, but a major automobile update...for us (our purchase of the 2017 Subaru Outback, that incorporates STARLINK). For some reason, STARLINK interferes with my iPhone 7's satellite reception. Who would've thought?!
TNT1001
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message