These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
perlin wrote:
tlael wrote:perlin,
There was an earlier request to make the "minimize turns" option in the navigation settings menu sticky.
Is that possible? As it currently stands, it reverts to the default of On every time the app is restarted.
Yes, it's possible. We will fix it.
I'm confused. This has been a reported client bug for what? 9 months? And off-handed here it's going to be fixed all of a sudden? I truly do not understand how/why bugs are decided to be fixed.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
iOS has a volume setting per output method (speaker, headphone, BT, dock) but Waze does seem to start out lower than normal at times. This has been reported.

iOS also controls whether to fade or interrupt music. iOS allows sound output to one output method at a time.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Because iOS restricts sound output to one device at a time, when an app like Waze, if it is set to "always output to speaker," iOS stops any audio going to other devices like dock or bluetooth. This is not under Waze's control.

If Waze is outputting audio over the same method as another running audio streaming/playing app like Music, Pandora, etc, iOS will fade the other app, not stop it, and allow Waze to output its audio. iOS then fades the other app audio back in. This is not, AFAIK, under an iOS app to control.

I am not an iOS developer, but this is info I've gathered from using various audio apps, not necessarily including Waze, and watching how they behave with each other.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm going to join the crowd that is desiring more long-distance routing features from Waze. I know it's not their aim right now, but good gosh oh golly, does it suck in no cell data areas. It has terrible performance in Edge network areas where other apps like Safari and Tapatalk seemingly have no problem. Waze is rarely able to communicate with routing servers unless total full signal strength is achieved. I had to repeatedly try to get a route to an item in history or otherwise 30-50 times over the course of 20+ miles. Sometimes I gave up and sometimes I magically got a route. Another 4S in the same vehicle was never able to get a route until we hit 3G.

Gas price category search is also poor. I have a preferred brand and the list of stations usually starts with stations dozens or hundreds of miles away. I must scroll to find those closer. Sorting is by brand, so perhaps Waze needs secondary sorting by price or distance, preferably distance. And even then, the same brand station I can see .25 miles away never appears in the search. I can do a search for the brand name, city, state and it returns just fine.

I found what I think is a bug with trying to post two hazards quickly: I started a hazard and couldn't finish it immediately due to traffic, so I waited about 30s. As soon as I posted that hazard, I noted another hazard in the road and immediately posted another hazard with text. What Waze actually ended up posting was only the first hazard with my text from the 2nd hazard posted as a comment on the first hazard. Very odd.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
perlin wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Gas price category search is also poor. I have a preferred brand and the list of stations usually starts with stations dozens or hundreds of miles away. I must scroll to find those closer. Sorting is by brand, so perhaps Waze needs secondary sorting by price or distance, preferably distance. And even then, the same brand station I can see .25 miles away never appears in the search. I can do a search for the brand name, city, state and it returns just fine.
Sorting by brand includes a distance parameter. First it result in gas stations sorted by brand (obviously). Secondly, in each brand, the stations are sorted by distance. True, the prices here are mixed up, but it can't be sorted both by distance and price.
I realize this is a difficult situation to figure out what to do, but, personally, I would expect that if I have a preferred brand and I am sorting by Brand (as I wrote), that I would see all the stations of that Brand sorted first. It doesn't happen. Like I said, the preferred brand station 1/4 mi away did not appear in the sorted by Brand search results. That doesn't make sense to me.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jteammn wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Maybe, though I think that issue has never been solved. This is for highways/interstates like "State Hwy 99W" or "I-35E" where the letters are part of the name, not their direction. 99W has N/S segments, so Waze says, "... 99 West South" which is totally wrong. This was reported two betas ago, and received no response from perlin or anyone. http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 85#p191285
I ran into that today when County Road E (as in the letter) East was voiced as County Road East East!
I believe this issue has been resolved. I have heard TTS correctly read (twice) "State highway ninety-nine double you south" instead of "west south."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jteammn wrote:Maybe fixed in the beta but it was there on 3.2.1.0
Oh, shoot. You're likely correct. I am running the beta. Wrong thread! Sorry.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Unstickied and locked due to v3.2.2.0 release.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by czyzczyz
Two issues that are present in the latest Waze (and may not be new):
issue #1:
If I've been playing video files on my iPhone and have turned their volume down to nothing, when I later run Waze, it announces turns silently (I only know it's announcing the turns because it fades the music I'm streaming to my car stereo via bluetooth). To increase the volume of announcements I need to be quick and manage to hit the volume keys during one of these silent announcements, if I miss the announcement then hitting the volume keys only adjusts the ringer volume. This all happens despite the fact that I'd set the announcement volume to maximum in waze's settings when I first set up the app. It'd be nice if waze's announcement volume was never affected by the volume set when playing back media in other apps.

issue #2:
I stream music to my car stereo via bluetooth, and wish I could get waze to announce turns without fading the music away. I thought perhaps setting waze to use the built-in speaker rather than bluetooth would solve the issue, but instead the music streaming over bluetooth fades to silence and then waze announces the turn over the iPhone speaker. I don't know if this is an iOS feature that waze can't adjust, or whether what I'd like is doable. I think other apps, such as "Nike +iPod" manage to fade the music a lesser amount so that it can still be hard during their announcements.

If it's not possible to keep waze from fading the music, I'd love if it were possible to speed up Waze's speaking voice, as the exact content of the announcements matters less to me than just hearing that something's coming, and I could get the gist without it being spoken so slowly (and interrupting my music for so long). iOS supports the adjustment of the speech engine's rate within its accessibility settings, and I think also supports pitch-corrected playback of audio clips within its media player.

Other than that, Waze is great. It's the first GPS app that's better than the GPS built-into my car.
czyzczyz
Send a message

Post by czyzczyz
OK, my hope is no longer to have waze announce over iPhone speaker at the same time as music streams over bluetooth, but:

1. Would it be possible to have waze announcements stream over bluetooth alongside music that's less faded -- i.e. the music doesn't completely cut out for the announcement? I'm fairly certain that iOS system sounds like the email and message received sound fade the music but not completely, and I think the Nike+ app manages to have its announcements mixed into the music as well.

2. Would it be possible to allow the user to choose to have the announcements read more quickly and with shorter pauses? As of now every day my music is interrupted by Waze saying "In half a mile … … turn left … then … … turn left." It takes a very long time for this info to be recited and those ellipses represent non-brief pauses. How about a voice running 1.5x the current speed, saying,"In half a mile turn left … then turn left." 1 pause is better than 5.

Thanks again.
czyzczyz
Send a message