Voice Commands reference

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Voice Commands reference (NA only)

Postby tckma » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I now know I should try to use my bluetooth headset with voice commands; I haven't yet. (Turning my radio off in the car, which should have been a "duh" kind of thing, helped immensely.)

Is there a better way to start voice recognition? The settings either show "wave twice or three finger tap," "wave once or three finger tap," and "three finger tap." I had to set it to the finger tap only because waving sometimes causes a "how can I help you?" from the app when I didn't want to send a voice command, and waving doesn't seem to work when I want it to. Grabbing my phone from the center console and tapping it with three fingers simultaneously doesn't seem very safe to me when traveling at highway speed. Plus I'm fairly certain it's against the law in my state.

Does "wave" mean "wave the phone" or "wave your hand in front of the phone?"

iPhone 3GS with iOS6, here. Upgrade to iOS7 was never presented to me, probably because the phone is going on 4 years old now.
Area Manager, north-central Maryland and south-central Pennsylvania
Apple iPhone 4S, AT&T, iOS 8.4.1, Waze 4.0
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:42 pm

tckma wrote:Does "wave" mean "wave the phone" or "wave your hand in front of the phone?

Wave your hand or finger in front of the phone to activate the proximity sensor.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tckma » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks.

My Bluetooth headset apparently will only let you use it if you're making a call. I can't really afford to get another at this point so it will have to wait. Voice control seems to work OK for me if I have the radio off.
Area Manager, north-central Maryland and south-central Pennsylvania
Apple iPhone 4S, AT&T, iOS 8.4.1, Waze 4.0
tckma
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 pm

tckma wrote:My Bluetooth headset apparently will only let you use it if you're making a call. I can't really afford to get another at this point so it will have to wait. Voice control seems to work OK for me if I have the radio off.

If you use iOS, selecting Prefer Bluetooth will initiate a "phone call" which will activate your headset when you activate voice commands.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:35 am

I really wish there were a way to "Prefer Bluetooth" for input (voice commands) but not output (directions). TBH, if there is a Bluetooth input device connected, it should always be used for voice input.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dborn62 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:36 pm

What about other languages (such as french)?
I live in Montreal, Quebec and most all street names are in french and the text-to-speach has a terrible time at trying to pronounce those french names in english. As I don't have any problem with either language, I switched the text and speech to french and it's much more understandable now!
However, when I try to give it a voice command, it doesn't seem to understand anything anymore. I tried both english and french words/phrases and nothing get recognized.
dborn62

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:34 am

dborn62 wrote:However, when I try to give it a voice command, it doesn't seem to understand anything anymore. I tried both english and french words/phrases and nothing get recognized.

Some of the translation files were not built correctly by the community members working on it. There was something to do with capitalization of some characters which screwed things up. I'm not sure when this will be fixed, nor whether this fix can be applied live or requires a new app version.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Superfraggle » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:55 pm

More annoyingly for me, waze pauses the music for the beep of the voice prompt, but then allows it to play whilst it wants me to talk to is useless for me.
ImageImage
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Voice Commands reference

Postby majorben » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I noticed recently that when after Google took over and changed the app slightly by going to sleep mode, that the commands to close the app like "shut down", "switch off", etc. no longer worked or can no longer be recognized. Is there a working voice command that shuts down the app?
majorben

Re: Voice Commands reference

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:30 pm

majorben wrote:I noticed recently that when after Google took over and changed the app slightly by going to sleep mode, that the commands to close the app like "shut down", "switch off", etc. no longer worked or can no longer be recognized. Is there a working voice command that shuts down the app?

Unrelated to this thread. Don't hijack please. Search the forum. It's been posted about dozens and dozens of times.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App